Rebarreling a rifle

dain v

Reaction score
I have a Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag. This rifle was a tack driver when I shot 150 ballistic tips. Since shooting all copper the accuracy has suffered drastically. I replaced the stock with an HS precision and had the trigger tuned. This helped, but accuracy is still unacceptable to me. I have basically given up hunting with this rifle and use my Steyr 308 which is the most accurate rifle I have owned. But the 308 is just to limited in range for all the areas I hunt and I want a rifle I'm comfortable with to 500 yards. This has brought me back to my Winchester. I'm thinking about having it rebarreled with a #5 light varmint contour barrel, with rifling to match the 140 Barnes that I shoot. My question is to those that have some experience with this. Is it worth it, will I see an improvement in grouping? Also can anybody recommend a competent gunsmith in so cal to install the barrel?

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Buy a new rifle..season it with hard copper...by the time you spend the cash on retraining the appetite on the old one..you could have a new one... I like the howa rifles..best bang for your buck ..my 1.5 cents.

dain v

Reaction score
Thanks ilovesprig. I'll give him a call.

dain v

Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
Buy a new rifle..season it with hard copper...by the time you spend the cash on retraining the appetite on the old one..you could have a new one... I like the howa rifles..best bang for your buck ..my 1.5 cents.
By season do you mean break in with copper?

ofdscooby

Reaction score
What are you using to clean your copper out not all solvents are equal with the all copper bullets I have found that Sweets or something similar that really strips the copper works well. I was trying KG gun Kote and their copper solvent is pretty weak and I only use it with my cup and core Bergers. Don't give up on the barrel try a deep clean with a real good copper solvent and run wet patches through it till they stop turning blue. My rem 700 in 30-06 shooting 165 GMX goes to Sh^& after about 10 shots and then I need a deep clean. Then I can run it way out there with accuracy. If its still the barrel I would look at having the action trued while the barrel is off and I would strongly look at a Bartline barrel.

Phil

Reaction score
Have cleaned your rifle throughly(check for cooper in the barrel) and retried the 150 BT's to see if it might be the Barnes bullets? My rifles loves the Nosler BT, Barnes would be my next choice.

dain v

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Going to do a full clean with sweets 7.62 then take it to the range. Checked out bartlein and they look affordable but a long wait to get it done.

ofdscooby

Reaction score
If you need a Bartline check out Bugholes.com it seems these days everyone wants to go big heavy contours so if you got a 2b countour ( a little thicker than stock) they should be available they can do the rebarrel also

muledeer07

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet its not your barrel its the copper fouling. Get a good copper solvent and deep clean that barrel. I use Montana copper solvent but that stuff is nasty. Must be used outside and stay upwind at all costs. But it cleans out copper better than anything I've ever used. I'm betting copper fouling not your barrel. My barrel is good for about 8 shots before accuracy drops.

Dieter

Reaction score
Dain,

A new barrel is always a fun project. And if done correctly, you will end up with a rifle that shoots lights out. Before going down that road, you may want to clean the rifle thoroughly. And I would also suggest trying the 150 or 160 TTSX Barnes through the gun as well. Your rifle just might not like the 140 X.

As far as shooting longer ranges, you will be better suited shooting the heavier bullets with higher BC's.

Just some thoughts -

dain v

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Thoroughly cleaned out the barrel and tried some different factory loads. Rifle is shooting decent again.