Range with Springfield XD to Rent?

Fowl Play

Hey guys,
Going to venture out and purchase my first handgun soon.... mainly as a sidearm for hunting, hiking, camping. Went to a local range and tried just about every handgun they had hanging on the wall to rent. Currently trying to decide between the Beretta Px4 and Glock 19. Liked the safety/decocker on the Px4, but honestly... if I actually had to use it at a life threatening time... trying to flick that safety off with my thumb would probably kill me. Glock 19 fit me well and shot great, but... that little trigger tab safety thing leaves me slightly on edge (mostly just thinking about some freak case of a tree branch snagging it or something). I really would like to try anything in the Springfield XD line to see how that gun fits me. I think that added grip safety might be a good balance between the two. Anyone know of a range that might have one available to rent?

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Fowl Play said:
Hey guys,
Going to venture out and purchase my first handgun soon.... mainly as a sidearm for hunting, hiking, camping. Went to a local range and tried just about every handgun they had hanging on the wall to rent. Currently trying to decide between the Beretta Px4 and Glock 19. Liked the safety/decocker on the Px4, but honestly... if I actually had to use it at a life threatening time... trying to flick that safety off with my thumb would probably kill me. Glock 19 fit me well and shot great, but... that little trigger tab safety thing leaves me slightly on edge (mostly just thinking about some freak case of a tree branch snagging it or something). I really would like to try anything in the Springfield XD line to see how that gun fits me. I think that added grip safety might be a good balance between the two. Anyone know of a range that might have one available to rent?
Every kydex holster made covers the trigger.

You may find it easier to find a buddy with an XD to shoot though, but for me for the past decade or two, it has been Glock or not...

[email protected]

Absolutely love my XD. I dont know about locally to you, but you could rent one and try it out in a two or four day handgun course through Frontsight up in vegas area. If you are interested, I have certificates for free two or four day course to give away as part of my membership.

Fowl Play

Very valid point about the holsters.... not really sure what I'm concerned about... really just a mental thing I guess.

And C1 that is a great offer! Thank you! Not sure when I'll be up in the Vegas area, but maybe I should just plan a trip around it.

SCREWLOOSE

Remember, in California you can not borrow a gun. Or more precisely, somebody else can not loan you a gun.

Actually I'm not sure if that law took effect on the first of 2017 or if it's one of the laws with a later start date. Either way how are ranges that rent guns going to get around the law since there won't be a background check?

mouthcallinmatt

SCREWLOOSE said:
Actually I'm not sure if that law took effect on the first of 2017 or if it's one of the laws with a later start date. Either way how are ranges that rent guns going to get around the law since there won't be a background check?
Does the borrowing between immediate family members require a background check. Maybe this is the loophole in the verbiage. If you rent a gun to someone is that technically borrowing? I see borrowing as something that is free of charge. Anything else would be renting or leasing.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Stay away from KA.. stay far away...That being said..It's the G20 for me..And I never had one lesson!!

sloth1833

I prefer the M&P or the XD. Beaver tail safety of the XD is great for quick draw to fire but still has a higher risk for a "negligent discharge" than a gun with safety switch. That being said... The best safety is your index finger.

The most important part of all firearms is practice. If you have good safety while practicing with the gun and you practice often you will reduce the chances. A good holster that guards the trigger well will add to your safety. Choose a gun that feels the best and fits you, it aims and fires where you aiming with ease, and lastly forget bias and get one that fits you and your needs.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
I have an XD in .45. I have had zero issues with it. However, I do not carry that gun for the fact that it is a double stack, just to much bulk for me to be a carry gun, especially IWB. I carry a RIA 1911 in 9mm. Perfect size for me.

My daughter just bought a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I've only shot it a couple times, but really like it.

Whatever you carry, practice, practice, practice.

What is the wait time in KA these days? My daughters purchase took about 20min and out the door we went with her new pistol.

Huntndogs said:
There is a reason most law enforcement agencies issue a Glock.
Since you brought it up ~ https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/05/08/wrong-gun-popular-gun-law-enforcement-mistake/

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Has anyone checked out the single stack Glock Gen IV's? That should make a great appendix carry.

Huntndogs

Zach said:
I have an XD in .45. I have had zero issues with it. However, I do not carry that gun for the fact that it is a double stack, just to much bulk for me to be a carry gun, especially IWB. I carry a RIA 1911 in 9mm. Perfect size for me.

My daughter just bought a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I've only shot it a couple times, but really like it.

Whatever you carry, practice, practice, practice.

What is the wait time in KA these days? My daughters purchase took about 20min and out the door we went with her new pistol.

There is a reason most law enforcement agencies issue a Glock.
Since you brought it up ~ https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/05/08/wrong-gun-popular-gun-law-enforcement-mistake/
Has nothing to do with the pistol and everything to do with the operator. I have carried a glock of one form or another almost daily for 27 years and have never had any issues. That includes stressful situations, IWB carry etc...Of course, I go to the range and shoot often to keep my skills. Carry what's comfortable for you, but as stated above, practice practice practice.

Huntndogs

bearclaw said:
Has anyone checked out the single stack Glock Gen IV's? That should make a great appendix carry.
I have a G43 as my current everyday carry. I love how thin it is for all attire IWB.

7DUX

I bought a Glock 17 as my first hand gun a few years ago. I became obsessed with shooting the thing and had no idea how to take it apart and clean it. Many thousands of rounds later it finally had a hiccup and I had to watch a Youtube video. If they ever make a shotgun the Benelli's days are done.

Maverick

I've carried Glock 27, s&w shield problem is I didn't like shooting either of them I now carry concealed the same gun I carry while on duty. Sig P320

Firemen are packing now?

Fowlplay, I would call around to some other local ranges, there's lots, and see if any have an XD for rent. I know some ranges will not rent to a solo shooter because their insurance won't allow it, so you might have to take a friend.

Maverick

DKScott said:
Firemen are packing now?

Fowlplay, I would call around to some other local ranges, there's lots, and see if any have an XD for rent. I know some ranges will not rent to a solo shooter because their insurance won't allow it, so you might have to take a friend.
There have been firemen LEOs For a long time