Rabbits and Rattlesnakes

BillinSD

Reaction score
My daugher and I went out on our second day of rabbit hunting yesterday. We walked to small ridge and stopped to rest and my daughter said “look daddy there is a snake”. I looked to my left and neatly coiled up was a 3’ red diamondback about 5' away. No rattle warning. A few minutes later there was one less rattlesnake in the world.

I asked my daughter, "wow how did you see that snake" and she said she noticed its pattern. I was pretty impressed.

The experience rattled me a lot more than my daughter.

Then we saw a jack run down the valley and up the other side of the hill and stop. I started to get my daughter ready for the shot and my wife called, lol. My daughter talked about the snake she spotted and I lost sight of the rabbit. I took the phone and turned off the ringer and we went back to hunting.

We moved back towards the trail and headed back towards the car. We saw a bunny on the side of the trail run into some bushes and did not come out.

We walked amongst the brush, since it looked real rabbity and I saw a bunny run out and stop about 20 yards from us. Here was our chance. I got my daughter set up and at first she could not differentiate between a rock and the bunny. Would the bunny hold tight? She finally found the bunny in the scope and fired, click. I helped her eject the round and load another shell. Bang, the shot was way too high.

Then I said shoot really low, way below the rabbit and she did and hit it. The bunny was center punched and squirmed around a little. We walked up and finished it off. She was pretty stoked, and I was very happy that she had handled the gun very safely. We also were very careful to look for rattlers!!!

My daughter was stoked and wanted to shoot another bunny, but daylight was running out. It was very fun to spend some quaility time with my daughter and it was fun to talk about hunting strategies. She sure has passed some big milestones and this is sure one of them!!!

Life is good!!!
Bill

Attachments

• Nicole.jpg
    Nicole.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 46

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
awesome! what kind of gators is she wearing.... how did mom like the snake story... great day!

BillinSD

Reaction score
awesome! what kind of gators is she wearing.... how did mom like the snake story... great day!
She is wearing Turtle Skin Gators. Mom did not flinch about the snake story. Mom has been Extremely supportive!!! I have a 4 year old son and mom was telling him we can all be hunting together soon!!!
Bill

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
that's cool! (thanks for the gator info). we started looking at trailors, whatever it takes to keep the family together....

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Very nice Bill..................... Life long memories....................... :smiley_10sign:

muledeer07

Reaction score
Congrats buddy I like to see them youngins in the snake gators, real good insurance while out enjoying father daughter time.

2rocky

Reaction score
I think shooting rabbits has made more big game hunters than any other activity. You are doing it right!

Nimrod

Reaction score
Congratulations! May there be many more memories to come! My 12 year old daughter got her liscense last year and killed 4 doves making her dad very proud. She is looking forward to her 'sophomore' season and has told me very distinctly that she will not shoot deer or bunnies :smiley-yellow: . That's fine by me, she brings a touch of class to our hunting crew!