Question for you shade tree mechanics

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
When you guys do a brake job do you turn the rotors or just get new rotors? Going to do the job with my son on his 2000 Toyota Tacoma. New rotors are about 50 bucks a piece. Not sure of cost or where I'd get them turned.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Turn them. $15 each to turn them at NAPA if you buy your pads there. No need to toss them unless they are below minimum. Ed F

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
If you take them in to be turned, the shop will advise you if they need to be replaced. Assuming you go to a reputable shop.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Look at them. If they are significantly scored or warped (vibrate while braking) then replace. If not, slap some decent pads on and your GTG. I think rotors can be turned one time. Last time I checked the cost difference between turning and replacing wasn't worth turning them. (note I pay to have brakes done, so labor enters into the equation)

jsegoria

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tacoma 4x4. I bought two sets of premium rotors. The rotors get turned for free. So, I just keep swapping them out with a fresh cut set.

John

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I go with new. Not just scoring that counts, but warping also. Saves me time to just do new and not have to wait for resurface turning and new rotors are original spec thickness. But for my classic 73 Bronco, front drums and wheel bearing hub are one, and wheel mounting studs need to be drilled out and replaced -- so try to turn them first. But that is old design.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Have the boys do it..or wait..maybe not..last I had a boy open the car door it broke..id buy new ones.. but that's me, agressive car parts buying guy and lazy!

Limited Out

Reaction score
I have done well over 100 successful disc brake jobs without turning the rotors. Sometimes I brake the glaze with an abrasive on the rotors. If the pads haven't gone metal to metal and you are not getting warp rotor feedback in the steering wheel, no need to. I have never turned the rotors on a car/truck I have owned.

Old Quack 49

Reaction score
Always measure, inspect, and note vibration on light braking. If no issues always deglaze with a non directional abrasive pattern and clean with denatured alcohol or acetone. Use new hardware and torque wheels. No impact gun. Then drive with several moderate stops to start the break in process. With ceramic pads the brake response gets better after some time. If in your inspection you note bluish discoloration be suspicious of calipers not working properly. Old Quack 49

pig killer

Reaction score
I don't know how the Toyotas mount the calipers but mine on my old truck it had o rings were the mounting bolts went through those stupid little things were extremely important to replace or the calipers would rattle.
check your wheel bearings if they are repack able do it spend a little time and just check things out while you are there.
piece of mind with all fresh parts is worth a few extra bucks we hunters are not kind to our vehicles.

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the input. Way back in the day when I was in high school I took a few auto classes at the local trade school and the guy that taught it told us that even new rotors had to be turned. Seemed excessive to say the least. I haven't done a brake job in 15 years but it's time for the creeps to learn. Thanks!