Quad/UTV SxS

'Ike'

Road Trip!
Reaction score
Ok my old ass is broken and have been thinking about going with a Quad/UTV for a lil fun and to get around now and then...

Quads I pretty much know about and pretty straight forward, but the UTV SxS has got me wondering...Have started to research the Polaris line, Ranger and RZR, but also the Arctic Cat Prowler, Kawi Teryx and the Yamaha Rhino's...

Experience, pros/cons...?

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Just depends on what your main use is going to be. Really liked the 900 ranger we used last deer season ...... They also make a narrow version you can put in the back of your truck.... If and when we decide to purchase it will probably be the narrow rig.

Go check your local equipment rental store and rent one for the weekend..... Just tell them your using it around your ranch.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Those Ranger RZRs are bad ass! ODP I am sure knows a thing or two about them, shoot him a PM.

Fox Sports West has a Polaris Ranger show that comes on TV.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
make sure you got an extra belt for your boy LLOYD..he may be coming your way sooner rather than later george...that fat bastrd has really been pushing the envelope latley!!!! ive damn near had it!!!!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Polaris Ranger is a beast............And is my choice............. :smiley_10sign:

Attachments

• IMG_7866.JPG
    IMG_7866.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5250.JPG
    IMG_5250.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 0

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
as long as you pick a Polaris your fine.

we have a UTV Div. and I would bet we sell 30 to 1, if you added up all of the other company together, you might get to about 25 % of what Polaris is doing.

if you go to a offroad race with UTV's 99% Polaris....

when racers spend there own money to buy something... I just fallow their lead, they are the professionals.

Backstrap Guy

Reaction score
Love the Polaris Ranger with the big cargo bed. Use them every September in Utah. Hold the ground really well and with the one seat bench model three can easily fit.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
Anything in the Polaris line is great -- have used many. Only thing you might want to check on, is that some trails are limited to vehicles 50" in width or less -- if you have any trails close to home that you expect to ride on, you might just want to check that none of them have that restriction.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
View attachment 59045

the best hunting rig you can own. I saw a guy drive this thing into a spot that lets just say It takes me about bout 1hr to get up this hill, he drove with 2 elk in the back.........

I have been wanting one ever since

Attachments

• 6 wheeler.jpg
    6 wheeler.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0

paulc

Reaction score
Yamaha. You cannot imagine the abuse I have heaped on my 2005 Kodiaks and they just start up and run every day. I could never buy anything else. They absolutely amaze me the abuse they take.

'Ike'

Road Trip!
Reaction score
"Only thing you might want to check on, is that some trails are limited to vehicles 50" in width or less..."

That's the kicker right there!

SCREWLOOSE

Reaction score
outdoorplay said:
attachicon.gif
6 wheeler.jpg

the best hunting rig you can own. I saw a guy drive this thing into a spot that lets just say It takes me about bout 1hr to get up this hill, he drove with 2 elk in the back.........

I have been wanting one ever since
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/snw/4603006988.html

There's an old one for sale in Auburn

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
paulc said:
Yamaha. You cannot imagine the abuse I have heaped on my 2005 Kodiaks and they just start up and run every day. I could never buy anything else. They absolutely amaze me the abuse they take.
I hear you mine is a 2000 Kodiak, love it,

but they just dont make them like that any more or I would by a new one, I use about .25 of a tank to my buddy .75 of a tank

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
We have a Polaris Ranger Crew. Tons of fun, but the turning radius on the crew is big.
One thing I don't like is the dust. Also no ac or heat...An older Jeep is something I'd look at, depending on how you're going to use it.
With the UTV you'll need a flatbed trailer to get you to an area that's further away on public roads.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents on Quads and SXS......I have owned both and they each of them have their place. In a hunting situation, I prefer a SXS. Here's why I feel that way. A side x side can hold 2 or more people. It typically has a bed to hold your game (Deer, Elk, Hog, Etc.). Can also hold a lot of gear and ice chest if you plan on being out all day. Most side x sides can go anywhere a quad can go.

I like the Polaris Ranger. It's one of the widest on the market and stabilty is key when your searching for the right SXS. I have road in every brand on the market. Polaris still gets my vote for comfort, ride, Large Gas Tank, 4WD System, Stabilty, Largest Bed Capacity on the Market, Etc.

I have only got my Polaris stuck one time and had to winch out. That was my own fault cause I was testing the limits of the machine and it was a test. Thay are a lot of fun. GoodLuck!!!!

2rocky

Reaction score
What is the story on down hill holdback and the clutch system?

There was a guy in Nevada that said he had a UTV "run away" with him downhill in low gear.

Might have been a racing model.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
the experience I have had is you will always have to have brake assist on steep down hills

Raised in Alaska

Reaction score
Each toy has an environment where it shines above the rest. If you have no need for speed, but want to go where others cannot an Argo can be tough to beat if your destination includes mud and swamps. Here is some video that shows an Argo in mud pulling a trailer with more than 600 pounds of gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_z5oycMMec.

El Maton

Reaction score
Get one of each...problem solved!

Man sucks getting old! :smiley-oops-yellow: