Probably the Last One I'll Ever Buy (fingers crossed)

fish dog

Reaction score
A while back I was kicking tires and part of that was asking here about the Ram Ecodiesel (thread here)...

http://www.theoutdoorsforum.com/forums/topic/49316-ram-ecodiesel/

...Anyway, I finally pulled the pin and bought one but I didn't go with the Ecodiesel, or the Hemi. My son, who is a diesel mechanic, told me he had some reservations on the Ecodiesel but when asked about the 6.7 Cummins he told the that it was about "bulletproof" and should last 300,000 miles. So, painfully wrote a bigger check then I really wanted to and got this...

...2016 Ram Crew Cab 6.7 L Cummins Diesel 4x4. I've had it about a month now but wanted to wait to post a picture until I got the shell and a couple other things installed on it. If it lasts as long as my son said then he will probably inherent it, meaning I'll never have to deal with another car salesman in my lifetime. As for mileage, so far, I haven't had a chance to take a long trip but on a couple trips out to Riverside from Huntington Beach I've got up to 20.2 mpg on the freeway, which isn't bad for a beast like this.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Awesome. Congrats on the new rig!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
JUST IN TIME FOR DUCK SEASON!!!!LOOK OUT SJ. ROLLING LARGE AND IN CHARGE!! [good looking rig dude!!}

mouthcallinmatt

Reaction score
With a son who is a diesel mechanic, I would expect it to run well for a long time. Hopefully he doesn't live far away. Congrats.

fishingkid

Reaction score
I purchased the 2015 truck has been awesome just over 31,000 now only issues I've had was when its been into the dealer for oil change and tire rotation they have snapped 3 wheel studs and couple other minor things. Gets excellent mileage only dislikes I have changing from a Tacoma is the fuel filter prices and the filling up with def. but It's not bad.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Nice ride!!!!

We are at 12k miles on our 2500 hemi .... No issues and the gas mileage keeps getting better!

JNDEER

Reaction score
Sweet.

I have been keeping an eye on the Eco's...If you don't mind my asking, what specifically did your son say about them that pushed you away?

fish dog

Reaction score
JNDEER said:
Sweet.

I have been keeping an eye on the Eco's...If you don't mind my asking, what specifically did your son say about them that pushed you away?
He said they're made by an Italian company called VM Motori (formally VM Italia) and he's had some bad experience with their engines (although I don't think he's ever worked on an Eco). Also, for $6900 more I got a truck that basically will tow anything without breaking a sweat whereas the 1500 you're limited to about a 22-24 foot trailer or similar before its overloaded. In the 1500 you can only get a quad cab with the Eco, the 2500 Cummins is a crew cab, a little bit bigger. Also, due to the Cummins it should last longer. He's been fixing diesels for over 10 years. If he tells me something about a diesel engine I believe him.

duck-boy

Reaction score
Nice truck fish! Congrats on the new rig. But for clarification i have a 1500 ECO thats a Crew Cab(my 99' was a Quad Cab), maybe your referring to the mega?

fish dog

Reaction score
duck-boy said:
Nice truck fish! Congrats on the new rig. But for clarification i have a 1500 ECO thats a Crew Cab(my 99' was a Quad Cab), maybe your referring to the mega?
Well, I went online to the "build a truck" on the dodge web site and tried to "build" an Eco 1500 with a crew cab and it didn't show the Eco engine option for the 1500 crew, only the quad, However, I was trying to get a somewhat accurate price difference between a 1500 Eco and a 2500 Cummins so I was looking at the lowest priced versions. Maybe they don't offer the Eco for the crew cab in the 1500 with the lower end trucks but if you get one of the ones with more accessories then you can get a 1500 Crew Eco? Obviously if you have one then it is available.

duck-boy

Reaction score
The Ram build site is horrible, when i went to build mine it wouldnt let me cause i wanted the "standard" 17" rims. I only had the option for 20s. After some phone calls found out the factory was out of 17s so if you wanted to build one it had to be with the 20s. Waited 6 months then ordered with the 17s

fish dog

Reaction score
duck-boy said:
The Ram build site is horrible, when i went to build mine it wouldnt let me cause i wanted the "standard" 17" rims. I only had the option for 20s. After some phone calls found out the factory was out of 17s so if you wanted to build one it had to be with the 20s. Waited 6 months then ordered with the 17s
Ok, I suspect it was the "build" site. Also, I'm thinking, because we're right near the transition from 2016s to 2017s maybe they're out of 1500 crew cabs with the Eco and only have quad cabs left. Kind of like with you 20 and 17 inch wheels. If they're out then maybe that's why they're not offering them on the "build" site. Guess we'd have to wait until the 2017s come out.

BTW - I hope you have better luck with your Eco then the guy on the link I posted.