Possible Citation ?

glass eye

Reaction score
Not having a dog and not wanting to wait on the wind to retrieve birds on a no-boating allowed body of water. I was thinking of using a fishing pole with a treble hook, but not being a fisherman I never buy a fishing license.
Question : If a game warden watched me trying to retrieve a duck with a fishing pole, do you think he could write me up for fishing without a license ? Sounds stupid but the thought crossed my mind.

mouthcallinmatt

Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past them not to. Seems like when something isn't so cut & dry they tend to lean on issuing a ticket. I think many have given way to common sense & the intention of laws.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
You would have all the fishing gear on your person to illegally fish. So, yes, they could cite you if they felt so inclined. Buying a fishing license would be the safe bet, but if you decide not too, I would get a large treble hook and attach it to a hand thrown line -- would make it easier to rationalize to the warden that it is specifically duck retrieval gear... rather than "fishing gear."

glass eye

Reaction score
Thanks Fowl Play, I like your idea of the hand thrown line. I think I'll use para cord or any "non-fishing line"

$corpion

Reaction score
I wouldn't use a hand line
people at local lakes use hand lines all the time

if you have any line and hook you are fishing
you are asking for a citation without a liscense

1984cj7

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have a warden on speed dial? I have one and always call or text him questions, when I tagged my buck last month I gave him a call and he sent over a partner right away. I didn't have to go away where to get signed off.. on your question breck I would say it's on the border line so I would ask a warden before anything, I'm guessing this is a question about the trip your heading out to so it wouldn't be a local warden that could help?

jakeden1

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to use the fishing tackle to retrieve ducks without a fishing license. Use a ridiculously large top water lure - the only time you'll be casting is immediately after you shot a duck, so as long as you're not casing when there's no ducks on the water, I don't believe you'll have an issue.

$corpion

Reaction score
Maybe just maybe you would get a warden
with a little common sense but would you want
to take THAT chance
shoot it with enough hevi-shot maybe it will sink
wait that's same price as a liscense lol

duck-boy

Reaction score
Glass eye, what body are u talking about? PM me and be very specific and I'll see what I can do.......

Your secret will be safe with me....lol

Try to find a warden that works that region a ND ask. And keep his cell # on hand.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Use a ridiculously large treble hook - Marlin size - like a mini grappling hook, bigger than any fish in the area could deal with. Probably easier to cast as well.

My dogs love to retrieve ducks ... just sayin'

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter
Reaction score
I think with the paracord/hook combo you should be okay...........I have used the fishing pole method in the past, but I always buy a fishing license.

One man's opinion.

Probably safer to get the GW on the phone and ask.

BTW, did anyone else see the recent "Life below Zero" episode where the dude was shooting spoons? He had your same issue...... ended up tying a rope to a small tree, threw the tree at the duck and drug it to shore......good comedy.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Being new out here I already have the wardens number in my phone for the area I hunt. Call him regularly before I go out because we have some special regs in some areas.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Breck,

I'd say you're fine.....You are not fishing for fish and the method you're talking about has been used for years.....I'd make a wooden large plug with large retrieval hooks on it.....No doubt it is not a fishing lure.....Or as stated earlier......Get yourself a lab...... :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

RESIDENCY
A resident is defined as: any person who has resided continuously in California for six months or more immediately before the date of application for a license, or any person on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States, or an auxiliary branch, or a Job Corps enrollee. (FGC, Section 65)
LICENSE PROVISIONS
Any person who is 16 years of age or older must have a sport fishing license to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate, amphibian or crustacean in California, except for persons angling from a public pier in ocean or bay waters. A sport fishing license is required to take reptiles, except for rattlesnakes. Anyone 16 years or older fishing anywhere in lake Tahoe or Topaz must possess either a California sport fishing license or a Nevada sport fishing license. (Nevada also requires a trout stamp.)

10greenheads

Reaction score
instead of a hook you could use a grappling hook shaped piece of wood. a two foot section of xmas tree might work