Poor Man's Sheep

Coondog

Reaction score
Well.. with all of this sheep talk I thought I should chime in.

Got the letter on Monday that my 10yo was drawn for a youth exotic hunt here in Texas. We have been putting in for this hunt since the first year he was eligible and finally got drawn this year!!! We are both pumped! The hunt is actually for whitetail, but you can also take any exotics. This particular area is loaded with Aoudad and I have heard rumor of some free range black buck as well. Also, the whitetail in this area should be really nice too if we can find them.

This will be our first real pack-in/pack-out hunt. Not as hard core as you guys out West do it, but a good start for us. This will be our first experience of caping and boning-out in the woods and carrying everything out. Hopefully will not have to carry it more than a couple of miles.

So, I have a lot planning to do in the next couple of months. First line of order is to get my son comfortable with the shooting sticks. This is going to be my biggest task. Then I need to make a good list of everything to take since there are no stores or towns within a few hours of where we will be.

I think they do have some primitive cabins on site that we can stay in.

All in all it should be a great time spent with one of my favorite people. We also get to take my buddy and his kid as well.

I am all for any tips that any of you might have. This is going to be our first spot and stalk type of hunt, so we need some direction.

Lastly, for any of you that have hunted aoudad before will a .243 be enough rifle. I know it's all about shot placement, but we are talking about a 10yo old who is still learning. He is pretty good at the range, but not sure how everything will pan out off of the shooting sticks. He is recoil sensitive, so it looks like we will probably stick with the .243 unless I can talk him into trying out my .270.

El Maton

Reaction score
WOW sounds like you guys are going to have a heck of a fun trip. IMO i think the 243 is plenty of gun i rather have my kid comfortable with what hes shooting than a bigger gun that he might be sensitive too. The most important thing i think is to keep him interested and keep it fun the kill will be icing on the cake.

paulc

Reaction score
Larry, sounds like your are on the right track. .243 should be just fine. Do a lot of shooting, plan what your gonna carry, have fun.

jringading

Big Game Assassin & Sherpa
Reaction score
Awesome Larry, hope you guys can lay thunder to something nice!