pit rusted barrel

bpnclark

Reaction score
So I let a guy use my omega. He brought it back and said he cleaned it. I looked at it and it did look clean. Then I put in behind the bedroom door and left it there for 8 months without even looking at it. I started moving things around in the safe and went to put the gun in and noticed inside the barrel was full of rust. I cleaned it out, but while running patches down it, it felt like it was full of sand. The barrel is pitted up and down. I just tried cleaning it again, and its bad. Since its a muzzleloader I'm hoping its not going to hurt it that bad???? Anyone here shoot a pitted rusted up barrel on a mz?

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I don't even own a muzzleloader, but I think if it's a rifled barrel them there may be some effect.....If it's a smooth bore, I'd just shoot it.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Those omegas are rust buckets never again will I buy one from them......lets us know how it shoots....

Hunt'EmUp

Reaction score
I got a few of them rust buckets, even if you clean them if the humidity comes up, or you if look at them cross eyed they'll rust. Had one I cleaned put in a case, only to open the case a few weeks later and rust. I used a pencil lead to rub off the stubborn places. I'm so done with rust, considering re-bluing, getting it dipped. or putting on one of those plastic heat-shrink covers. I have 3 of these rust monsters, gonna try the heat shrink cover, see how it goes.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
Try a stainless steel brush on a drill lots of solvent then patches and repat had a cva rust up on me when you put it away I used lots of grease on a patch seemed to help just cleaned it out good before I shot it agin mine shot fine after good luck

ofdscooby

Reaction score
My CVA optima is the same way and it was my fault but it hasn't affected accuracy. I think the accuracy remains because of the sabots. One of the old farts at the range was telling me how corrosive the smoke pole powders are and that he uses simple great to neutralize the residue. Sounds crazy but these guys use it religiously and they are running it down $5000 quigly rifles . Now I just run wet patches of simple green down the barrel and push out as much carbon as poss. in between shots and if I'm done with a session I'll dry the bore then use a couple oil patches.

DGLloyd

Reaction score
My old TCA Hawkin rusted a few years back when I got busy and forgot to clean it for a couple of weeks. I scrubbed it out with Naval Jelly and Simple Green. Seemed to do the trick, but it wasn't fun. I have a coat hanger wire wrapped in microfiber I soak in oil and run down the barrel to leave for a day or two after cleaning. Then I plug both the muzzle and nipple holes for storage. Always works when I remember to do it.

bpnclark

Reaction score
Shot it and seems to be not effected at 100 yards. The barrel is still pitted up and down but the plastic sabots are still spining.