Pickup Day Today - New pocket pistol!

TheGDog

Bought a Sig Sauer P238 .380 ACP on my B'Day, just picked it up today.
Wanted to get some for a CCW type pistol. And wanted something the Mrs. should do well with shooting as well.
Was between a Kahr P380, Kahr PM9, and the Sig P238.

After comparing sights... how easy it is to to rack the slide on the 238 compared to those others, and the infinitely beter SA trigger, it was a no-brainer to go for the Sig.

And I'm totally diggin on that nice big chunky Night Sights it has on it! I can even see 'em good enough without glasses! And they do glow in the dark!

(For size reference, in gloves I wear size XL.)

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Nice piece, I've thought about that one as a small conceal compared to my RIA 1911 compact 9mm.

So, in order to CCW that pistol you have to go down and qualify with it at the Sheriffs office?

TheGDog

We'll see what's up with getting a CCW later. First things first. Want to engineer some range outings so I can observe the Mrs using this pistol and confirm that it will be as easy as I think it will be for her to get into and enjoy.

Part of my motivation with this purchase was potentially getting the Mrs setup with a CCW. She works in HR, but it's HR for a company that also happens to provide pregnancy termination services as well. Not often, but sometimes she has to visit satellite offices some distance away from home. And heck anytime she visits one of the actual clinical sites I figure there's always the chance for hostile confrontation from some amped-up picketer/protester. So for that reason, I believe she should have no problem with being granted a CCW regarding the "good cause" part.

Zach

Good luck. I've got a buddy in OC that has his, long process. Glad the longest part for me is waiting for the CBI to approve and the sheriff to call and tell me to come get my card.

El Maton

Zach, yes in order for you to carry you have to go "qualify" with that specific gun and put 50 rounds in the black at 3 yards....oh and must pay $50 bucks to prove to them you know what your doing. Also only the guns you qualified with (max 3) are the ones you can carry. I did my CCW class all the training in June 2016 did the interview in January everything went as well as could have been expected....after the interview they tell me 2 weeks and we will let you know....its been 3 months and nada....when i call or email they say your paperwork is with the investigator......I'm sure they have a ton of applications.

nicapopolis

Zach said:
Good luck. I've got a buddy in OC that has his, long process. Glad the longest part for me is waiting for the CBI to approve and the sheriff to call and tell me to come get my card.
At some point I will finally do mine.

Zach

El Maton said:
Zach, yes in order for you to carry you have to go "qualify" with that specific gun and put 50 rounds in the black at 3 yards....oh and must pay $50 bucks to prove to them you know what your doing. Also only the guns you qualified with (max 3) are the ones you can carry. I did my CCW class all the training in June 2016 did the interview in January everything went as well as could have been expected....after the interview they tell me 2 weeks and we will let you know....its been 3 months and nada....when i call or email they say your paperwork is with the investigator......I'm sure they have a ton of applications.
Ouch! I guess having the option to get it and it taking a long time is better than not being able to get it at all.
My daughter took her class over winter break when she was home from college. Also bought her first pistol, S&W M&P Shield in 9mm(took about 20 min). She'll get her CCW once she's back home this summer, shouldn't take too long now as it seems the applications in CO have slowed down. She can always OC if she chooses, but I doubt that will happen.

TheGDog

From what I've researched... as I remember it... there is a "good cause" statement that must be filled out? And that the Sheriff has to review the "good cause" statement and be ok with it and think it makes sense (something to that effect). I seem to recall it has one of several criterion that must apply in order for them to give it the go ahead?

Maton, does that sound right to you? What did you state for your "good cause" statement?

What happens in the "interview"? What kinds of things get asked of you? "Enquiring minds want to know!"

Zach

My buddy just got his renewal notice. He has to take a 4 hour class for the renewal. Gotta love CA....

El Maton

TheGDog said:
From what I've researched... as I remember it... there is a "good cause" statement that must be filled out? And that the Sheriff has to review the "good cause" statement and be ok with it and think it makes sense (something to that effect). I seem to recall it has one of several criterion that must apply in order for them to give it the go ahead?

Maton, does that sound right to you? What did you state for your "good cause" statement?

What happens in the "interview"? What kinds of things get asked of you? "Enquiring minds want to know!"
My good cause was I own a business and from time to time i have to roll with some fat cash from customers facilities to the bank for deposits. In the interview they asked for proof of cash deposits and customer invoices....they asked me why i don't just take a check or direct deposit....my answer was because some customers are not credit worthy and its my choice to run my business as i see best....he seemed fine with that answer....but i still have not received my approval so maybe he didn't like my answer.

TheGDog

El Maton said:
Was reviewing this thread today. Maton, did you get your CCW yet?
Affirmative!!
Freakin' righteous man! When ya get a sec, shoot me a PM talking about your good-cause statement and what ya put for that, etc. What kinda questions they ask ya, etc.

Zach

I'm guessing the Sig P365 isn't on the CA approved list?