Picked up an Omega

Koz

Reaction score
I picked up a TC Omega last night at Bass Pro. I'm probably going to get a Nikon Omega scope for it in the coming weeks. My first muzzle loader, so I'm stoked. The're supposed to be pretty accurate.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I got an Omega w/Nikon Omega scope this year and hope to try it out soon. I was told to just start with the new Buckhorn209 Powder and use 250's I've heard for great results. But it sure is different than my uncle's Hawken,but still sweet.

paulc

Reaction score
I have one and also an old knight. The Knight shoots better but, the Omega is certainly easier to use and clean.

I use a 100 - 130 grains of pyrodex pellets and the 285 grain spitfire tmz and it shoots decent enough. Wet and a dry between each shot. Shoots better fouled.

Take it shooting if it shoots decent (3" group at 100yards) leave it alone unless you just enjoy shooting. It if wont group PM me and will try to give a recommendation or two.

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
Paulc,
Iam shooting a T/C pro hunter .50 cal. Using 110gr of blackhorn 209, barnes TMZ 250gr saboted bullets, and CCI 209 shotgun primers. I also have the nikon omega scope and at 100 yards Iam shooting 1" groups. I believe if I have the trigger worked on I can do better then that! There are a few other guys I know that are shooting 1/2" to 3/4" groups out of their inline's at 100 yards. In my experiences 3" group at 100 yards is a pretty big group, especially considering how much bigger that group will grow out to 200 or 250 yards which is VERY doable with todays inline's and the Nikon Omega scope!

Just my two cents.

Ohhh! I almost forgot to add, I DO NOT swab between shots! Only ONCE before my shooting session to verify it is unloaded and dry. Other then that I will not run a patch down the bore until I get home and clean her up! The new Blackhorn 209 powder is GREAT!

paulc

Reaction score
Paulc,
Iam shooting a T/C pro hunter .50 cal. Using 110gr of blackhorn 209, barnes TMZ 250gr saboted bullets, and CCI 209 shotgun primers. I also have the nikon omega scope and at 100 yards Iam shooting 1" groups. I believe if I have the trigger worked on I can do better then that! There are a few other guys I know that are shooting 1/2" to 3/4" groups out of their inline's at 100 yards. In my experiences 3" group at 100 yards is a pretty big group, especially considering how much bigger that group will grow out to 200 or 250 yards which is VERY doable with todays inline's and the Nikon Omega scope!

Just my two cents.

Ohhh! I almost forgot to add, I DO NOT swab between shots! Only ONCE before my shooting session to verify it is unloaded and dry. Other then that I will not run a patch down the bore until I get home and clean her up! The new Blackhorn 209 powder is GREAT!

On my Knight i get about 1.5" groups, but, the Omega its closer to 3". As a result I use the Knight, but, the Omega is in the truck as a back up.
On a elk at 200 yards its a 6" group and still is going to kill.

I have not used that powder. It sounds like it is really clean.

bpnclark

Reaction score
I bought one when they first came out (years ago) and probably have shot it -100 times. I never drew a muzzleloader tag (the reason I bought it) so its never been "out".

Am I (or should I) remove the breech plug to clean it? Do you guys do it? I have always just used hot soapy water and sometimes the BP solvent stuff from TC, but I have never removed the plug?

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
bpnclark,
Glad to see you are a part of this forum, I always enjoyed hearing your responses. To answer your question, I believe Iam a little "too" over protective with my muzzleloader. I clean after every shooting session (including removing the breach plug). I do know most people DO NOT remove the breach plug after every shooting session. I've learned ALOT from a member from JHO regarding muzzleloaders. The one thing I changed about my setup because of him was going from 777 to blackhorn209. You DO NOT clean between shots, and if im not mistaken you do not "have" to do a deep clean until your season is over. This new powder is basically the same type of non corrosive powder we shoot out of our centerfire rifles just with a smoke additive. VERY CLEAN. As for cleaning your breech plug, most people I know wether using 777, or any other type of propellent, remove and clean the breech plug after the season is over. Like I said, I clean mine after every shooting session but thats just me. If you have shot it 100 times, and Iam assuming you are not using blackhorn 209, I would most definitely pull the breech out and give it a good cleaning before storing it. Just due to the powder being SO corrosive.

Also, another great thing about blackhorn209 is there is no need to remove a load from your rifle after a hunt. You can leave a load in your rifle for months at a time because of this new powder. It does not loose its propellant integrity from sitting around. I owe ALL of my knowledge regarding this powder to myfriend410.

Hope this helps and answers your question.
Nick-

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
Paulc,

Just my two cents.

On my Knight i get about 1.5" groups, but, the Omega its closer to 3". As a result I use the Knight, but, the Omega is in the truck as a back up.
On a elk at 200 yards its a 6" group and still is going to kill.

I have not used that powder. It sounds like it is really clean.

I wonder why you are getting 3" groups out of your omega? I've heard great things regarding the omega. When I first got my muzzle loader, I was shooting 150gr of 777, 250gr TMZ's, and winchester 777 primers. The reason I chose this load was due to my scope (nikon omega) recommending 150gr of powder and 250gr saboted bullet. Although I soon after learned 777 was a much HOTTER propellant then what was recommended. I was still getting 1"-1.5" groups at 100 yrds. I WAS cleaning in between shots. I would try changing up your load a bit. Maybe try going with a 250gr bullet which are usually a bit more accurate, and maybe shoot a 3 shot group with 100gr, then a 3 shot group with 110 gr, and keep going up until you get that "perfect" load. You never know, you may find your TC is your new favorite muzzle loader! I know I sure do love mine. Iam getting 1" groups at 100 yards, and using my 250 yard reticle I have shot 3" groups, but on average Iam seeing 3 1/2" groups. Gives me ALOT of confidence when I need to make that 200+ yrd shot!
Nick-

paulc

Reaction score
Nikola, the Knight was the first ML I bought and that was about 10 years ago. I used 250 grain sabot and it shot great and has always shot great.

It is hard to clean and you have to use a stupid little metal tool to put the primers in. So I decided to upgrade for a CO ml backpack elk hunt.

I bought a Knight disc rifle. I spent hours working different loads, powders and got very poor results. Shot my first ML at same time and it shot them all good.

After wasting lots of time and money trying to get the disc to shoot, I returned it to cabelas and bought the omega.

Went through same thing with the omega and got good enough results (never real good) that I kept the gun. A young man I took antelope hunting shot a Antelope buck at 165 yards double lung this last year so it is good enough to hunt with.

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
Sounds like she's a keeper! Sorry to hear about the problems you were having with your knight. I still have not gotten the opportunity to shoot one. Just held one at the sportsmans warehouse. The KP1 seems interesting.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Great stuff guys,and its good to see you Nik, and our friend @ Vandy is on it as far as most gun stuff IMHO! Hope he shows Too! Altho I have yet to shoot Mine I've shot a friends with him and they are pretty sweet. He had same trouble you have Paul and we tried the stuff 410 said and other gun gurus I've talked with. The loads are diff for every gun. I had taken his scope off while going over it again,stripped, and I put in a 110 load w 250TMZ and shot a 1" group @ 100 ,open sites .We put 'er together and he dialed it in and is getting 1/2"-1" groups @ 100 with 112 w 250's And this guy bangs the gong regular now I hear at the range. Can't wait til I get time to get mine going. I'm taking it as back up on my "any legal weapons hunts" ,That and a 30-30.

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
Great stuff guys,and its good to see you Nik, and our friend @ Vandy is on it as far as most gun stuff IMHO! Hope he shows Too! Altho I have yet to shoot Mine I've shot a friends with him and they are pretty sweet. He had same trouble you have Paul and we tried the stuff 410 said and other gun gurus I've talked with. The loads are diff for every gun. I had taken his scope off while going over it again,stripped, and I put in a 110 load w 250TMZ and shot a 1" group @ 100 ,open sites .We put 'er together and he dialed it in and is getting 1/2"-1" groups @ 100 with 112 w 250's And this guy bangs the gong regular now I hear at the range. Can't wait til I get time to get mine going. I'm taking it as back up on my "any legal weapons hunts" ,That and a 30-30.

Hey! Iam assuming when you say the Vandy guy you are referring to myfriendis410? I dont know is name but remember the vandy portion. I hope he shows up too! I owe ALL of my muzzle loader knowledge to him and still have SOOOO much more to learn! He is a encyclopedia of knowledge without a doubt and is always willing to help and share what he has acquired in years of learning.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Yeah.He's the one on the Jesus forum. That guy 410 knows his stuff ,I wish he would show but.... I heard great things of TC Omega so I got one last year and it will be my MZ @ my new place in NM....Omega NM that is...

hank4elk

Reaction score
Finally got the right base from Talley and will mount my Nikon scope. See how it does,I've got two great archery and mz units next to me.And I'm in any legal weapon unit.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Shot my new Omega last week for first time...after 12 rounds to dail scope in, got 3/4" group @ 100yrds...before the biting gnats got the better of me...will dial it in further to 200 yrds in next few weeks. Have to feel real comfortable with it before Oct and my elk hunt.But it is pretty sweet so far,and feels real good to shoot.Has way less kick than my -06.

TonyS

Reaction score
Grin, you aren't going to believe the holes it cuts. Good luck.