Passing of John Waters

Received a call yesterday evening regarding the passing of John Waters. John was a regular at Wister for many years; as well as a fisherman on many boats from San Diego to LA. John served as a CAL DFG Volunteer, a Penn Rep; a Pro Staffer for AA Lures, and member of the Compton Rod & Gun Club.
I’ve known John since I was a kid, started hunting and fishing with him at 10 years old, 49 years ago.
John had a contagious laugh that was easily recognizable. He helped many a fisherman learn to catch fish, many times setting the hook and handing it off. He also mentored a lot of people in the waterfowl game.
He will be missed !!!

mouthcallinmatt

Well written Kevin. He was quite a guy. I've already missed him since he stopped hunting. If there was a book written about Wister regulars he'd be in it & near the front.
RIP friend & God Bless your soul.

slinky_70

He was always one of the first ones at the check station even in his last couple years. My boys had nicknamed him Santa Clause because of his deep laugh and long beard. He will be missed. RIP

spooniekiller

I first meeting john when working On the fishing boats. I had the previlage of hunting and playing cribbage with him. I will severly miss the man. To give everybody the heads up I getting a tree and planting it in memory of John at his beloved wister. I got the ok from the management to do it. It will be a mesquite tree. I plan on doing planting it in January.