Packing list for Elk hunt

outdoorplay

Founder
I get ask this qestion every year as I take at lest one brand new hunter with me each year.
So I figured I would post it for any new people that are going to go elk hunting for the first time. anyone that has something that they think you you need please add it so our news guys don't go out unprepared

General packing list
  • First aid kit
  • Water purification straw
  • Flashlight with extra batteries
  • Knifes
  • Folding saw
  • Cooking pots with lids (no glass lids)
  • Case of water
  • Thermos
  • 7 strand par cord
  • Sleeping bag for unpredictable cold weather (you can always sleep outside of the bag if it gets warm)
  • Foam sleeping pad
  • Pillowcase (stuff extra clothes in the case at night)
  • Waterproof matches
  • Lighter
  • Tinder material
  • Toilet paper (disposable dipper wipes)
  • Camera
  • Sunscreen
  • Insect repellent
  • Game bags
  • Trash Bags
  • Fishing Supplies
  • Utensils
  • Cooking stove
  • Hand/dish soap
  • Large coolers at lest 2 if not 3 depending on size,
  • Dry ice
  • solar charger
  • tire changes
HUNTING GEAR
  • Back pack I like the Ederlestock or the badlands Water Bladder is a must with gun scabbard
  • Compass
  • Altimeter
  • Trail tape
  • Rifle and back up Rifle (dont just bring one)
  • Ammunition (don't be cheep get more then one box, you are going to have to re-site your gun in at altitude)
  • Tags/licenses/hunter education certificate
  • Binoculars
  • Maps/GPS
  • Rangefinder (this is a big mistake, I see a lot of people don't have one, if you don't have one GO GET ONE you send all this time and money to only miss the money shot because the guest the wrong range)
  • Trail Mix (Don't leave camp with out it)
  • 2 types of hiking boots one for cold and one for when its warm
  • socks light weight and heavy weight, I really like micro wool hiking socks
CLOTHING
  • Rain gear
  • Thermal underwear
  • Wool clothing,
  • Fleece clothing
  • cotton clothing
  • Extra socks
  • Extra gloves
  • Large [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Brimmed[/SIZE] hat (cal-boy hat)
  • Warm stocking hat
  • Camouflage clothing from -10F to 70F
I am sure I for got some stuff on the list but I add to it.

This post has been promoted to an article

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
The little alcohol wipes are the best fire starters around, and good to clean up cuts and stuff. They are also cheaper than most store bought tinder wastes of money.

Cotton is worthless in anything but warm weather or the back 40 in my opinion.

Old kingsize pillow cases make great game bags. A trash bag for a pack cover in a rain storm and emergency water res if your POS camelback busts.

Best water reservior is the MSR Dromedary lite. Bulletproof to the core. A nalgene bottle with large mouth is always useful for mixing drink mix (gets gunky on a long hunt in the reservoir) and for tossing in hot water as a little heater when you sleep on a cold night.

hank4elk

Good list!
Keep the batteries you use to 1 or 2 types of rechargables for everything. Have lots and/or recharging ability. I use AA&AAA longlife rechargeables.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
I hate elk hunting.....that being said..I leave next Thursday for Sweet peas Roosevelt hunt...its fixen to go down chicken dycks..stand by!!!!

montana13

Great post. Don't forget hunting boots, including a backup pair if hunting in extreme weather. And don't underestimate the importance of the matches and tinder material (as listed by outdoorplay). They could save your life if lost. For me personally, one of the most important and most often used item on your list is toilet paper.

outdoorplay

Founder
bearclaw
where I hunt the morning could be 14F and in the afternoon 60 to 65, I pack wicking heat gear for the shirt and light weight cotton pants,

this is way, if the sun is out and I'm helping pack out an animal, witch it seams like we do just about everyday, I change into the lightest thing I can. hump it double time back and get back to my hunt a lot faster. I stay cool and Im not wasting a lot of energy by being over heated

outdoorplay

Founder
montana13 said:
Great post. Don't forget hunting boots, including a backup pair if hunting in extreme weather. And don't underestimate the importance of the matches and tinder material (as listed by outdoorplay). They could save your life if lost. For me personally, one of the most important and most often used item on your list is toilet paper.
lol yep forgot that one lol I I will up date the first post. I pack two one for the cool and one for the warmer days

I for got socks too......... I'm going Indian style
fill free to post up anything thats a must for you guys as well, as I would like the new guys to go as prepared possible

outdoorplay

Founder
I hear that, but my elk hunt is a lot different that the sweet trips you take,

I have been do this trip now for 13 years, we hunt on public land, stay in a cabin, not a base camp.

Each year we take at lest 2 new guys and some times 3. I can make this trip in just my back pack. but with a cabin I bring want I need and extras as the newbeis always miss stuff and I don't want them to have to pay the price for not being prepared.

When taking knew people they normally do not have the right gear that can serve more then one element. they do not know how to layer properly and if its going to be cold I cant let them sweet as you know that will not end well.

the place I go has a storm that hits one week before we get there, or right when we get there, or in the middle of when we get there. its a blizzard -10f.
Some times the snow is so think you can't see more then 15 feet, if the storm hits before we get there, it will be a hot trip with highs close to 70f. that's a big difference to be prepared for

I would rather they bring it and never use it, then leave it at home and need it

bpnclark

We'll be going to AZ on a elk hunt. We're planning on being there for 2 weeks, in 1 wall tent and 1 Cabelas Bighorn. 4 guys, 2 tags. Cant forget beer.......

But I have a non-beer question. What do you do with all your extra stuff? We dont leave anything in camp except clothes. I'm super paranoid about leaving anything expensive in camp. No way I could ever bring an extra rifle. Where do you keep it?

outdoorplay

Founder
bpnclark said:
We'll be going to AZ on a elk hunt. We're planning on being there for 2 weeks, in 1 wall tent and 1 Cabelas Bighorn. 4 guys, 2 tags. Cant forget beer.......

But I have a non-beer question. What do you do with all your extra stuff? We dont leave anything in camp except clothes. I'm super paranoid about leaving anything expensive in camp. No way I could ever bring an extra rifle. Where do you keep it?
I have a sweet deal with at Black Canyon RV Park & Campground

348 U.S. 50
Cimarron, CO 81220 for 3rd season you will not get a cabin as those go to have been before first, its very rare he ever has a opining.

he has Cabins, and trailer that he rents. we split it between us and it works out to $25 bucks a night. everything stays in the cabin. we only take what we need for 24 hrs

HOGHUNTER714

Quarter Bags and Electrical Tape. Worked great to hang all our meat from the meat pole. Was cold enough that nothing needed to go in the ice chest, until we left for town.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 0