Owens/PVR.....Outragious

hronk

Thought that I'd better post something since I just signed up. Since the Pig hunt at Tejon last weekend, (which we were successfull at) I've been fishing the Owens and the top end of Pleasant Valley a couple of hrs a day. Starting on Sat. the dry fly action in the river between the Powerhouse and the lake has been unreal. Saturday was good for about 75 fish including 8 Browns and 3 Alpers. The Alpers were in the 20-22" range. About half were caught on a # 16 Elk hair Caddis even though there aren't any Caddis hatching until Late spring/early summer. The others were on #16 or 18 Blue Wing Olives & Blue Duns. Yesterday there wasn't much of a May Fly hatch but the fish were still going strong on most size 18-22 dries or 14-18 Pheasant tails. Today the fish were going strong when I got there at 9:30 and still going nuts when I left at 2:00. I have always wanted to catch fish on a #26 hook so I spent most of the day using a #18 dry as an indicator with a #24 or 26 nymph (hook wrapped with red, green, gold or copper wire with a peacock herl head) on the bottom. I ended with about 30 on the dry, 12 on the #24 and 7 on the # 26. The hardest part was tieing the little B-----d onto the line. Weather is supposed to be in the 40's for the next 4 or 5 days with some lite rain. As long as it remains overcast or partially cloudy, the bite should be hot.......hronk

cduck

Hey Hronk....DK just said you joined up here at TOF. Not sure if you remember me or not from Ghandi's, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome!

I am C'duck here, but was Colusaduckhunter at JHO.

take care!

Tim

mouthcallinmatt

I am C'duck here, but was Colusaduckhunter at JHO.

Better check your handle again Tim or hit up some new-age commune to find yourself. :afraid_face:

Welcome hronk! Looks like a new member tsunami is hitting us. If you happen to run into Mr. T. Rowan, punch him in the gut and tell him it's from me because I hear he's ripped and can take the punch now.

Nice fishing report too.

hronk

I'll do that. I imagine that he'll be at the Duck dinner in 2 weeks so I'll see him there. hronk

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Hronk, we fished the lower Owens on the waterfowl closer and slayed the fish. I was using a 590 Sage sp #5 with sink tip, dip and stripping Hornberg streamers in a couple areas that were off the chain! Made up for the poor hunting.

We called a pack of yotes in but they never got w/in shotgun range. I'm getting the itch to go back up but the WSB are biting and we have squid for bait :smiley_prayin_ani:

tmoniz

Hronk is the man!
I got pics of fish he has caught that are off the hook.
No better flyfisher than Bob out there.

Tmon

Can I post some up Bob?

hronk

Thom: Go for it! I'd post some more but I need some OJT to learn how to post pictures. Anybody come up this way, I'll trade a fly fishing day for a little computer training.....unless I'll go to jail for guiding without a license attatched to my antlers.....hronk

karstic

Karstic: What do you mean by old! How about "slightly aged outdoor person"....hronk

How 'bout "Experienced"?

Evan III

Hronk,

Welcome to TOF, thanks for the reports hope to be up there soon, I keep hearing the dry action is goin nuts!

'Ike'

Road Trip!
here ya go

Hey, that looks like Pyramid! :smiley-hittin-stick-yellow:

Dang Hronk, I miss the Owens, have to get back over there....You see Yort, get him on here!

YORT40

here ya go

Dang Hronk, I miss the Owens, have to get back over there....You see Yort, get him on here!
ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT I'm here!