North Dakota Family Pheasant Hunt

2rocky

After spending 4 days in Nevada with the WORST ROAD HUNTER EVER......I boogied back to my North Bay abode for a quickie, and left at o Dark 30 for a 4 day pheasant hunt in Reeder North Dakota. You see we don't rate enough to go to the Pheasant Capital of the world, but we can get on the outskirts.....
1603468089710.png

View album “Recents”.png

2rocky

We spent 3 days getting there, with over night stops in Twin Falls, and Billings. In addition to my Father, Uncle and I were a couple other 70 somethings, my cousin and his buddy who were 45-46 like me. On the Dog Side we had 3 pointers 12, 5, and 2 years old and a couple of Labs 5 & 2 if I recall correctly.

IMG_4341 (3).jpgIMG_4339 (3).jpg

2rocky

We hunted for 4 days and ended up one bird shy of a total limit of 12 birds in possession per person across out 7 man group.

We vacuum sealed them all and froze them in the chest freezer we brought for that purpose.

Sounds like a great trip. Always wanted to hunt NoDak. First time? Did you see any huns or sharptails, etc?

2rocky

Sounds like a great trip. Always wanted to hunt NoDak. First time? Did you see any huns or sharptails, etc?
Only from the highway in Eastern Montana. I'd have expected them in the CRP but we found nearly zero in it.

JNDEER

Ha- I see. Should have called ol Hatch- I hear he wrote the book on proper road hunting do’s and dont’s.

congrats on the two!

2rocky

AS suckered me in...Told me the unit was FULL OF ROADS...Which I verified....

I show up to go on the hunt and he is wearing Flip flops.. Good sign right?

WRONG!

6 hours later (and out of cell receptions) he pulls out the hidden boots and pack....

I look in the cooler and instead of the official road soda Silver Bullets are some Hoppy IPA from Sierra Nevada. You can't cruise roads all day on that stuff for long you know....

We hunted 3 days on ONE TANK OF FUEL...Including driving 60 miles to and from Town!

You shoulda seen the guys in their side by sides and Razors jus LAUGHING at us in our Full size truck with AC and heat. You could tell they were pros in their Carhartt Coveralls with beerguts from years of Roadhunting practice. Not to mention a sidearm in case of getting in a shootout with someone over "Right of way" on a twotrack.

Luckily we were over a mile and a half from the road so no one could see my tears of shame..

JNDEER

I have limited hunting experience with said “road hunter”... but this form of deception seems right from my experience and packing “spotting scopes.”

happy for you both filling those tags!