No Sage Grouse This Year

nicapopolis

Reaction score
You could see this coming with how reduced they have gotten over the years.

I am not sure how much this winter hurt their population but it is logical to think it could have affected some of the hunt zones.

I wonder what some of the locals think about their decline. Are they declining?

Here in Colorado we have lesser and greater prairie chickens. We have greater prairie chicken hunting in the east northeast part of the state. They are doing okay here, but they let you shoot more right over the border in Kansas. The Lesser Prairie Chicken isn't doing as well down south around the Arkansas River, so what does CPW do, find more to plant! They are currently working with Kansas parks and wildlife to trap and transplant more birds to CO. Why? Because they don't want the feds to come in and list them as endangered. They would love to see a hunting season on the lessers.

I wonder if CA has transplanted more sage grouse in recent years?

dain v

Reaction score
Can we still jump shoot ducks along the owen's? Planning a few more trips up there this year and would enjoy harvesting something besides fish.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
dain v said:
Can we still jump shoot ducks along the owen's? Planning a few more trips up there this year and would enjoy harvesting something besides fish.
I am not sure how this would have anything to do with duck hunting. You should be good to go.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
dain v said:
Yes

'Ike'

Road Trip!
Reaction score
That sucks ass, we may never get it back now...A older biologist had always said, he'd give out one permit rather than none, as there was a good chance of not getting it back...

TonyS

Reaction score
Sounds like time to spend money improving habitat instead of all the other things to waste money on.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I have mixed feeling about this.....Many times, when you lose something.....You never get it back.....I can also remember never having to worry about getting a limit of sage hens.

Don't quite understand why there's so few.....They say it's a loss of habitat.....Yet, I have hunted the same areas all my life (Bodie & Crowley) and nothing has changed habitat wise.....Still miles of sage and plenty of water.

Another example is the Laurel Mt. side of 395.....That has not been hunted in many years. Yet, they're not doing any better than any other.

Chip Shot

Reaction score
Steve, are we sure that the number of sage grouse are really that low? The Lassen zones up here have been closed for 5 years and people that live in the area see sage grouse there, but we keep hearing how low the numbers are. I think the sage grouse has become the next thing that tree huggers want to ban from hunting. The press release from the CDFW even mentions that due to snow, they were unable to get into some areas and that some sage grouse were possible not counted. It sounds to me like a disclaimer, in case someone really gets in there and gets a good count with plenty of birds. I'm just sick and tired of everything being politicized and CDFW making decisions for political reasons. If the bird numbers are really that low, then I would support them closing the season. I just don't think I believe them.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Chip Shot said:
Steve, are we sure that the number of sage grouse are really that low? The Lassen zones up here have been closed for 5 years and people that live in the area see sage grouse there, but we keep hearing how low the numbers are. I think the sage grouse has become the next thing that tree huggers want to ban from hunting. The press release from the CDFW even mentions that due to snow, they were unable to get into some areas and that some sage grouse were possible not counted. It sounds to me like a disclaimer, in case someone really gets in there and gets a good count with plenty of birds. I'm just sick and tired of everything being politicized and CDFW making decisions for political reasons. If the bird numbers are really that low, then I would support them closing the season. I just don't think I believe them.
Oh, I totally agree.....I don't trust DFW one bit.....The same reason I'm glad we still have a banded tail pigeon season, despite only being 2 birds....Once they get their foot in the door, may never get a season again.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Wildlife population surveys are always imperfect and rely to some extent on statistical inference. I hunted the east and west Lassen zones not long before they closed. Very few birds then. Got skunked the first year (west Lassen), almost no birds taken that year. There is a difference between a population and huntable population. People have been talking about declining sage grouse populations for many years now. I think the sagebrush habitat in the southern zones looks degraded compared to what I remember as a kid. Maybe overgrazing or a decline in available moisture to the sagebrush, I don't know, but a lot of it looks beat. It happens over decades so maybe it seems the same to some. I have read that biologists consider sage grouse an indicator species for habitat health and if they manage for the birds the whole system benefits.

Here is the link to The Sage Grouse Initiative. I think this is maybe partly informing DFWs management of the sage grouse as they have a DFW biologist listed as "State Lead".

https://www.sagegrouseinitiative.com