new to the site

mojavejohn

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself. I live and work in the Mojave desert, hence the forum name. I am almost 39. I am married with two kids, 16 and 5. I found this forum about a month or so ago and have just been lurking in the shadows, reading a bunch of your posts. It looks like you all are into the same things I am into, and it's nice to see that. This is the first season that I have been out hunting since 2005. I mainly hunt dove, quail and chukar, although pretty much any type of hunting interests me. I also fish a bit too, I have been working on flyfishing for the last few years, and am having a good time with this too.

The main reason for this post is to ask for some advice regarding a new member to my family. I just purchased a male 5 1/2 YO GSP named "Big Jake" from a trainer. The dog is ready to go so initial training wont be a problem.

PC170082-1.jpg

I have never owned or even hunted behind a dog before, so my knowledge is extremely limited. The closest thing to experience with a gun dog is what I have seen on TV hunting shows. I obviously have a lot to learn so If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate that. I obviously want to keep him safe, so even though I have been given a few pointers (pun intended) on how to hunt with him, anything else that I can get would be great.

PC170090-1.jpg

PC170089-1.jpg

Big Jake and I say thanks.

popx5

Reaction score
Welcome fellow upland addict.

Best thing you can do with jake is Hunt him!

Good luck.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Welcome to the site John! Any man with a shorthair can't be all bad.

Big Jake looks like a big boy. As for hunting him, trained and at his age, I'd be inclined to follow him and trust his nose, see what happens and go from there.

gs3006

Reaction score
:smiley_welcome_sign: ..... welcome John .... nice looking dog.... have fun with him...

and what DK said ....

vizsla_hunter

Reaction score
Welcome! I love 'Jake's" facial expression in that first picture! Yes...do what the others have said, trust his nose! I've learned the hard way that you must trust your bird dog! On more then one occasion i've not followed mine and missed a bird....some lessons are learned harder then others.....

For me, it's more about watching the dog work and not about killing birds...although shooting birds is really fun!

Enjoy!

m.vint

Reaction score
QUOTE (DKScott @ Dec 18 2011, 06:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354486
Welcome to the site John! Any man with a shorthair can't be all bad.

Big Jake looks like a big boy. As for hunting him, trained and at his age, I'd be inclined to follow him and trust his nose, see what happens and go from there.

i agree and if he has been trained with an e collar, use it. they(hunting dogs) have a completely different personality when hunting.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Welcome John,

Great name (Jake), OK dog (GSP)..............................Just kidding, beautiful pup............................. :2:

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
welcome to TOF, just sit around and tell us some stories............

and the stories with out pictures are Lies but we are ok that :beer-toast:

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
nice dog.... run him! or raise the fence... look forward to reading some good post about you and your dog. (welcome to the site)...

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
Welcome to TOF...

Dog advice: DON'T OVERHANDLE YOUR DOG...please. Most annoying mistake people make. Get behind him and hunt...let him do his thing and reap the rewards.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
QUOTE (Spirit OTM @ Dec 22 2011, 05:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355025
If he's not already get him snake trained BEFORE you hunt him. He'll thank you.

Good advice. Since he's trained, I would check with the trainer if you are in contact with him, and see if he has ever been snake broke and/or had the vaccines.

Local QU chapters put on snake avoidance clinics beginning in the spring. They use Bob Kettle, who has done my dogs. Bob Worrell usually also sponsors a clinic with Kettle up at his training facility near Gorman. Andy up at Etiwanda Fish & Game Club also does snake breaks. He's local (Kettle lives in NV) and will do one wherever you can get 10-12 or more dogs lined up. Cost of a snake break is generally $60-65 and they take about 15 minutes. Plan on having a follow up a year later. There is also a vaccine for around $30 dose (2 doses, a month apart then annual boosters). I'd do both, but the vaccine is not effective against Mojave greens and if bit by any kind of rattler you still need to get your dog to a vet asap. Best protection is teaching them to avoid snakes altogether and that's what the clinic does.

mojavejohn

Reaction score
QUOTE (DKScott @ Dec 22 2011, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355072
QUOTE (Spirit OTM @ Dec 22 2011, 05:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355025
If he's not already get him snake trained BEFORE you hunt him. He'll thank you.

Good advice. Since he's trained, I would check with the trainer if you are in contact with him, and see if he has ever been snake broke and/or had the vaccines.

Local QU chapters put on snake avoidance clinics beginning in the spring. They use Bob Kettle, who has done my dogs. Bob Worrell usually also sponsors a clinic with Kettle up at his training facility near Gorman. Andy up at Etiwanda Fish & Game Club also does snake breaks. He's local (Kettle lives in NV) and will do one wherever you can get 10-12 or more dogs lined up. Cost of a snake break is generally $60-65 and they take about 15 minutes. Plan on having a follow up a year later. There is also a vaccine for around $30 dose (2 doses, a month apart then annual boosters). I'd do both, but the vaccine is not effective against Mojave greens and if bit by any kind of rattler you still need to get your dog to a vet asap. Best protection is teaching them to avoid snakes altogether and that's what the clinic does.

Yeah I took him into the vet for a checkup and he also suggested the vaccine, I didn't know if he was pulling my leg or not, so I am glad to hear you mention it. I have seen the snake avoidance classes offered and that was at the top of my list. I think the local Quail Forever group offers it. I will talk to them. As a matter of fact I will probably become a member there. Sounds like they do some good work out here, maintaining the guzlers and such. Anyone on here a member at the high desert chapter?