New tires for a 2500 4x?

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Need some new shoes for our RAM 2500..... looking for a AT that’s not to loud cruising down the freeway.

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
I'm running 35" Toyo AT-IIs on my 2500 Power Wagon. Very quiet and comfortable, but not as good in sand as my last set of Toyo MTs on the same truck. I also have AT-IIs on another truck and Nitto Terra Grapplers on the old beater. I like the Nittos, but they don't seem to hold up as well as the Toyos. Avoid BFGs on that truck. And whatever you get, make sure it's at least Load Range E.

sdhunter

Reaction score
I've tried BFG, Cooper, Hankook, and Goodyear...the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac has been the best for me so far. 315/75/16's on my duramax. The only tires to get me to 40k miles. Good tire, not louder than the other AT's I've tried.

Good luck with your choice! I love new tires on my rig, makes her ride like new again.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
sdhunter said:
I've tried BFG, Cooper, Hankook, and Goodyear...the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac has been the best for me so far. 315/75/16's on my duramax. The only tires to get me to 40k miles. Good tire, not louder than the other AT's I've tried.

Good luck with your choice! I love new tires on my rig, makes her ride like new again.
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are the top tire people run here in Colorado. I know them as an amazing tire on icy road conditions. I haven't spent a lot of time in sand or mud to comment on that performance. I agree, not super loud on the highway either.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
nicapopolis said:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are the top tire people run here in Colorado. I know them as an amazing tire on icy road conditions. I haven't spent a lot of time in sand or mud to comment on that performance. I agree, not super loud on the highway either.
Lots of Farmers run the Cooper AT/3, myself included.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Zach said:

You drive through more poop than I do.

fish dog

Reaction score
Do you have any lift on the truck? BFG All Terrains are great tires but a 2500 will eat them up in about 15,000 miles. (Just replaced mine). I have a front level on the truck and I'm currently using 295/70/18 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. Pretty aggressive tread but not as loud as you would think. I don't really notice any more noise than the BFGs I had. Haven't had them long but from my research, they will last double + from what I got off the BFGs.

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
BFG All Terrains are great tires but a 2500 will eat them up in about 15,000 miles.
The reason I suggested avoiding BFGs on a solid axle Dodge truck is because Dodge issued a TSB on the BFGs that used to come standard on Power Wagons. Dodge engineers traced death wobble specifically to those tires. BFGs are no longer OEM on 3/4 and 1-ton Dodge/Ram trucks. The BFGs may have improved, but why take a chance? I went from the original BFGs to 35" Toyos and I think Toyos are the perfect tire for that truck with my kind of use. Re the Coopers, KORE was (maybe still is) running Coopers on their desert race Dodges with solid axles and doing pretty well. They used to run Toyos and then got a Cooper sponsorship.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Can they perform in the wister mud? Or any duck mud for that matter? That duck shooting can be brutal..jus sayin...

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
Make sure there quiet on the dirt road Duckie..that's all that matters..
Reading my mind Hatch!

Those coopers look interesting ...... Screw BFGs I have never seen anyone happy with them

sloth1833

Reaction score
bearclaw said:
I am on my third set of Cooper Discover AT/3 10 ply's. Not too bad even at the higher pressure in my F150. Good offroad performance too as well as not too loud on the highway.
X2! Good tire on and off road, quiet, cleens out well, tread lasts and keeps working @ <50%

7DUX

Reaction score
fish dog said:
Do you have any lift on the truck? BFG All Terrains are great tires but a 2500 will eat them up in about 15,000 miles. (Just replaced mine). I have a front level on the truck and I'm currently using 295/70/18 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. Pretty aggressive tread but not as loud as you would think. I don't really notice any more noise than the BFGs I had. Haven't had them long but from my research, they will last double + from what I got off the BFGs.
I have those ST Maxx's on my F250. Getting ready to replace them at about 37K. May go to the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, basically the same tire but has a $100 rebate right now.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Got the Toyo A/T Open Country last time I needed to put new rubber on my Ford Explorer SportTrac. Really impressed with these tires too. I enjoy pushing them HARD on Freeway Interchanges. Very predictable traction. I'm an Ex-Moto guy so admittedly I push it a bit when in a car.

And even out in Stoddard Valley OHV area farting around with testing breaking loose the back end, they do so predictably. You can fart-around and flat-track with 'em comfortably as long as you don't get too aggressive with the speed entering a turn.

And with those tires in place I drove the North Main Divide Road where it splits off from the 74... all the way over and then down Indian Truck Trail back over to the 15 in my 2WD vehicle. And there was really only one spot during part of an uphill section with a lot of larger stones embedded in the trail that required a couple runs at it to figure out where to pick the best line to make it up without diggin' in.

I would definitely buy these tires again.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
nicapopolis said:

You drive through more poop than I do.

Daily...

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Reaction score
my 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 came with Michelin's; each set lasted about 70k miles. The 2014 same everything came with Bridgestones if I remember right. Wore out pretty damm quick, replaced with the Michelins and still good.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Michelin Defender ltx m/s is my recommendation. Been running them on the heavy trucks since they changed from the m/s2. Outstanding ride, even long lasting wear, never a failure under some extreme loads, surprisingly good traction in the dirt. So I've heard. Don't get to the desert much.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I used to run BFG At's on my diesels... My last set went 15k. Got talked into the Goodyear Duratracs and am happy. Currently at 15k and they look almost new. They do have more road noise though. Ed F

popx5

Reaction score
On my third set on my 2500 duramax...with 43,000 miles...
Stock Goodyear’s lasted 18000. Wrangler with the Kevlar lasted 24000. On a set of coopers...just had first rotation. Supposed to be a 50000 mile tire. Ain’t gonna make it. The mountain is hard on tires.