New mnuzzle loader now what :)

BDB

Reaction score
OK so I decided to take the plunge into the muzzle loader space. I have settled on a TC Omega. Probably going to pick one up this weekend.

That said I don't have anyone I know around here hunting with one so I'll be a newbie starting fresh and reading a lot. Any words of wisdom to help along the way? Types of powder, bullet sleection (deer), any other key supplies etc.

There weren't too many muzzle loader threads on here. I was hoping this was all covered somewhere but couldn't find much info.

Thanks in advance!

bpnclark

Reaction score
The Omega is a great mz but what/where do you plan on hunting? Some states you can't use a inline, some you can't use scopes, some you can't use sabots. Really think about where your going to use it before you get setup. If it's only for CA an Omega with no scope is a great setup.

I have an Omega and a HighPlainsShooter. If I had to do it again I would not have bought reddot and scope mounts for the Omega and I would have bought a longer barrel Renegade instead of the HPS....

BDB

Reaction score
Thats a good point, I will have to check the regs. 99% of the hunting will be in Mass and New Hampshire. I am really onbly looking for the extended season and getting out before the masses of shotgun hunters

bpnclark

Reaction score
I bought a $400 reddot scope before checking.......

Also look at thier powder and bullets laws. Every state is different and some don't like pellets or BH209. I put in for Idaho this year and they don't allow anything..... I need loose powder, percussion cap and ball or chroincal only.....

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Butt pad those fers hit hard!!!

Good luck the old style like what you have to use in ID is just crazy....I swear it takes like 5 seconds before it fires!!!

hank4elk

Reaction score
As BP said,find out what is legal where you will be using it. I really like my Z5 Omega. I can use scope,Barnes sabots and BH209 here in NM.

BDB

Reaction score
I am all set with scope and sabots as far as regs but not sure about powder since I don't know squat about powder yet. I doubt there will be an issue. Looking forward to a new toy and a new season.

bpnclark

Reaction score
I'd get the Omega, Leupold mz scope, Barnes or TC Shockweaves, and BH209 powder. It's loose powder so you'll need a holder and dispenser. Then get a range rod, and ball starter. You won't need a ball starter for the range but loading a mz with it's org rod is a pain in the field.

BDB

Reaction score
What is the advantage of the loose powder over the pellets. They seem easier to manage and more convenience and I see people here in the east using them. I assume there is something you give up for convenience. Thanks for the advise. I'll definitely put decent glass on it.

bpnclark

Reaction score
With pellets theres little control. They are easy to use but only come in 50s and 30s (I think). Loose powder you can completely control (like a 96 grn load). It's like reloading with a mz. Plus it's so easy to use, I dont see any big advantage with the pellets.

Plus if you shoot an Omega you'll want to use BH209 (and it dosent come in pellet form). It's a synthetic bp and the Omegas love it.

bpnclark

Reaction score
I picked up a TC clear measure and clear powder holder. Super easy to use and carry. I keep those and a ball starter in my bp bag in the field. Now if I can just draw a mz tag I might be able to kill something besides squirrels with it.

hank4elk

Reaction score
As BP said you can fine tune the load for each bullet and gun. I found 100 grns work best with the 250 sabots I use,110 for the 300's.But each gun is different. I have the same TC clear dispenser and pour it into a brass adjustable measurer. Straight into barrel or into a speedloader. I keep several speedloaders with me while hunting. Clear plastic tubes,and the sabot plugs the end. Pull the bullet(sabot) and pour the powder in and then put the sabot in. Use a starter as stated. Have fun, they are fun to shoot. Now if I can just not be so picky and fill a bull tag this year.

BDB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys guys. I am going to hit Kittery Trading post, kind of like a smaller Cabelas, this weekend when I am up in Maine and look at all the supplies and choices. Can't wait. I actually like the dates for ML much better than firearm season for New Hampshire where I normally hunt so it should be a fun year.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
my 14 year old girl got drawn for a ca.either sex muzzie tag this year...got her set up with the tc omega..shooting a 100grains of pyro..and a 200gr. pill...she shoots it fine with no flinch..we are targeting old sway back ladys on the property this year that have thier girl parts dried up like a fruit roll!! [cant bear fawns anymore}..allthough if mr.bones steps out..all bets are off..she is a killa..and i aint kidden!!! cant go wrong with the omega bro!!

paulc

Reaction score
I have 2 omegas that I use. I feel good to 200 yards. I use the TMEZ barnes bullet with 130 grains of pyrodex pellets. I did try the buckhorn 209 powder, but, could not see enough of a difference to justify the inconenience of loose powder.
It is cleaner, but, you got to clean the dirty effers anyhow.

TonyS

Reaction score
I am not going to put my mz in the bathtub so BH209 works for me. I wouldn't use pyrodex or any of that stuff.

BDB

Reaction score
Well, it took a little longer but I finally pulled the trigger. Not on the gun itself but on the purchase. Ordered it yesterday. 2012 CVA Optima. The gun and all the goodies (powder, bullets sabots, primers etc) should be at my front door by mid next week. Looking forward to hitting the range.

Attachments

• toy.jpg
    toy.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0