New Mexico

bpnclark

Reaction score
I saw this posted on another site and looked it up in the new 2011 NM regulations.

Muzzleloader
Includes rifles and shotguns in which the charge and projectile
are loaded through the muzzle. Only black powder, Pyrodex
or an equivalent substitute may be used. Smokeless
powder, including Blackhorn 209 powder is illegal. Legal
muzzleloading shotguns are those capable of being fired from
the shoulder only. Muzzleloaders may use in-line ignition,
pelleted powder, sabots, belted bullets and scopes. See
Restricted Muzzleloader, next column.

I just started using Blackhorn and got better faster results then I did with the pellets and loose Pyrodex. I guess Ill go back to using the pellets.

It's also starting to look like if you're really after the muzzleloader tags, youll need a different gun for each state.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Yep lots of different regulations. The states have got to keep up on their rules with muzzleloaders and their components due to advances in technology every year. They are no longer short range weapons with some of the propellents, bullets and primers. Add a scope and it's virtually like hunting with a single shot centerfire rifle.

Look at this muzzleloader...kills out to 500 yards!
http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/

bpnclark

Reaction score
I wonder how they are going to be able to tell the difference if its in a plain container. I know it smells different but are they going to train the wardens on the smell?

upper

Reaction score
Why would they need to be able to tell the difference?...............Upper

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
QUOTE (upper @ Dec 19 2010, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301205
Why would they need to be able to tell the difference?...............Upper

If Blackhorn 209 is illegal they need to be able to tell the difference between it and say Pyrodex.

goindeep

Reaction score
I just started using bh209 last year, it definitely out preformed the 777 I was using and it was alot cleaner. It's probably a matter of time before most western states ban it. Its pretty easy to see the difference between the bh209 and the777, the bh209 looks like little macaroni. I'm all for keeping muzzleloaders as primitive as possible. Most people and myself included got into muzzleloading because of the great season dates and easier draw odds than rifle hunting. Muzzleloader seasons will all but gone if states don't make more restrictions on muzleloaders, Success rates will get too high and they will be forced to cut tags somewhere.

bpnclark

Reaction score
Ya, I just took another look at it last night. Blackhorn looks like dark black hallow macaroni, while Pyrodex looks like grey black flakes.

I understand all the restrictions, but how can you ban Blackhorn but still use a scope? I think having open sights is biggest handicap with a mz. Oh well.....

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
QUOTE (bpnclark @ Dec 20 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301288
I think having open sights is biggest handicap with a mz. Oh well.....

Yes I agree...huge handicap!!
On my Oregon hunt as far as I know I was the only successful hunter.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I use BH and don't plan on changing....it is just way better stuff. NMG&F is all over the place on changes this year. We have a primitive season for reason...I like my inline w/scope. And it's way more accurate than any I've found with BH. Out of state guys should beware of having it if checked...most folks here neverheard of it from what I've seen.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Just got a note that they are going to allow it....after tons of flack.

hank4elk

Reaction score
...Yep,they blacked out the BH209 ban.It's still legal.Alot of folks here sent them protest e-mails,me included. If you like your flint-lock look at restricted MZ hunts.