New dog coming in Spring 2014

nicapopolis

The damage has been done... The breeder has cashed my deposit check.

My wife and I are actually extremely excited about getting our dog next spring. I have been talking with this breeder for almost 2 years now and the litter we want will be born next spring. We got our deposit in now, because they will sell out fast, if not all ready.

We are getting a standard poodle from Louter Creek Hunting Poodles in GA. You may recognize their dog "Cooper" from the Duck Dynasty episode when Si hunted with the poodle. Cooper is the first Master Hunter poodle I believe. Cooper is their most decorated field trial dog, but they have others who are not far behind.

Our pup will have Cooper as their grandpa so we are very optimistic about our puppy's drive to hunt.

Check them out... or laugh at us, whatever you want to do.

http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/

This is the bitch they will be breeding to get our pups...

... And they are some damn cute pups...

Mrfish

Hey, if they hunt, they hunt jack. I thought about a poodle when I was looking for a hunting dog but the standard size aren't super popular. Poodles were bred to hunt too!

muledeer07

The horrors of the the wister mud in that poor fellas coat, Oh well there a good hunting dog let him hunt. And Congrats.

sdbrewer

Cool! Had two standard poodles (in succession) growing up. They weren't hunters but were damn smart and good dogs. Poodles have a long history of hunting. Very cool!

D

Dove Hunter

Good luck with the new pup and send plenty of pictures , I hunted with a guy who had one and it was a great dog .

Don't know if I would take Uncle Si's recommendation, but it would be nice to have a dog that doesn't shed. I've seen a couple hunting poodles in the field over the years and there's a guy out at Prado that has a couple. They seemed like they were getting it done, but the Prado guy told me they were very smart and willful and he needs to be very firm with them. Sounded sort of like how weims are. Have fun - I'm sure you'll get a lot of attention with him.

nicapopolis

DKScott said:
Don't know if I would take Uncle Si's recommendation, but it would be nice to have a dog that doesn't shed.
The shedding is part of the reason I went this way. My wife has pretty bad allergies.

Louter Creek actually trains all of the dogs for the show Duck Dynasty.

I have heard poodle training is fairly specialized. I plan on flying to GA to pick up my pup and spend some time getting tips from Rich Louter on training.

jsegoria

A good dog is a good dog, regardless of the breed. The Wister mud is a valid concern. That stuff is nasty. Even with my lab. I cannot imagine what it would do to a dog with substantial hair.

John

nicapopolis

John Segoria said:
A good dog is a good dog, regardless of the breed. The Wister mud is a valid concern. That stuff is nasty. Even with my lab. I cannot imagine what it would do to a dog with substantial hair.

John
Luckily I do not hunt wister that much. Only 1 or 2 times a season. SJ, Kern, and up north of where I prefer to be.

imateamroper2

Poodles are one of the smartest dogs out there.i have had one.almost too smart.great dogs!
The only bad side is, the longer hair gets foxtails and burrs,crap in the ears all the time.but other then that you'll love that dog.
Get em some booties for those tender feet.,oh and dont forget the bows in the hair,too.hehe ,had to poke ya.lol

nicapopolis

imateamroper2 said:
longer
Poodles are one of the smartest dogs out there.i have had one.almost too smart.great dogs!
The only bad side is, the hair gets foxtails and burrs,crap in the ears all the time.but other then that you'll love that dog.
Get em some booties for those tender feet.,oh and dont forget the bows in the hair,too.hehe ,had to poke ya.lol
Yeah. Our breeder gets them use to clippers before we even pick them up. This is good for us because we would like to start grooming our small Maltese as well. So our poodle will be groomed regularly with a short clip.

imateamroper2

They say every dog resembles the owner,so be careful how ur girl dresses it up.
Im not gonna let this fish get away.
That would be the perfect dog for Si.they look soo much alike!

ilovesprig

A poodle?............Say it ain't so Nick................ :lol:

My mom had a medium sized poodle and it hunted like no other.........Kind of leaned towards a chessie with a better disposition.

I'm sure she'll do great.............. :2:

nicapopolis

ilovesprig said:
I'm sure she'll do great.............. :2:
We are planning on getting a male and we of course are planning to pick based off hunting drive. Now I just can't wait until spring.

karstic

There's a couple of poodles running in the AKC Hunt Tests here in the SoCal area. They do work AND like to show off.

nicapopolis

karstic said:
There's a couple of poodles running in the AKC Hunt Tests here in the SoCal area. They do work AND like to show off.
I might have to go check some of them out. Anywhere I can find a schedule for the AKC hunt tests online?