need help

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I've got a .54 cal Hawken style traditional percussion cap ML that I bought from Cableas 15+ years ago. It's branded Cabelas but made by someone else, maybe Pedrsoli.? It's been a fun gun. I've killed a couple hogs with it and it's really accurate. I pulled it out of the safe today for the first time in many years. It had some rust so I was going to clean it. I put the wrench on the nipple and tried to loosen it. Without even struggling, the nipple sheared off in the threads. Crap. I called Cabelas and they no longer offer parts for the model. I'd like to drill out the old nipple and chase the threads clean with a tap, but I dont know the thread pitch and I don't even know if I can find a new nipple. Does anyone know if those things are standard sized? Think one from TC or something might fit? Any suggestions? I'd hate to think the thing is trash.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
It really has no collector value, so that would be fine. I would just like it operational again. You mean a Thompson Center Hawken nipple? Know where I could buy just the nipple? As long as the diameter is the same or bigger I could probably get it to work, but what if it's smaller?

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Your first mistake was putting a wrench on the nipple.... ouch! You should be embarrased to say that your gun has a nipple. Sorry bud, I have no free advice for you... Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
PH thanks dude, you are the man! I read some of the product reviews and a bunch of folks said they used that nipple as a replacement for their Cabelas Hawkens. Sure wish it would say that in the product description. Would have saved me a lot of time. Or if the folks at cabelas would have known when I called. Got a couple on order. Now it's just a matter of getting the old one out without too much damage. I hope the interior of the breech plug isn't too corroded. Just in case, know where I can get one of those too?

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
You should be able to get it out with a small eazy out.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
I second the easy out screw remover.....just remember every thing goes in reverse quick and fast and should save the threads.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I don't know. I guess there is no harm in trying, but its rusted in pretty good. I don't see an extractor working. The good news is that Green Mountain sells complete barrelled sets so if I have to go that route at least its still workable..

photohunter

Reaction score
SD, I've never needed to take the breech plug out. For cleaning, I always take the nipple out, use really hot water, and scrub the inside barrel out. Then light oil. If it doesn't want to come out, just leave it in.

I haven't shot mine in years and I always leave the nipple out for storing.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Yeah, I would do the same for cleaning. Hot, soapy water in the bathtub. Then I would just loosely screw in the nipple because I was afraid id lose it. I just fear the whole fire channel is rusted and clogged. I've never needed to remove the breech plug either, but never had it rust up like this before either.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Well that didn't work out so well. Tried an extractor. No dice. Had to use a little 1/8" one in order to not go into the female threads on the breech. Got a couple turns into it and it just wouldn't budge. Like a gorilla, I kept turning and broke the extractor off. And it's too hard to drill into to get it out. Dangit!

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a new barrell set. Now, can anyone convince me to stick with a .54 cal? I used to shoot Maxiballs out of it and had it set up for a CO hunt many years ago where you can't use sabots. Now I'd like to use it on a pig again maybe, and with the lead ban, I'm stuck with Barnes copper. They are much easier to find in .50 cal. Also, I can't find a barrell that is 1 in 28" twist in .54. The .54 cal bbls are all 1 in 70" for round balls, and the lead free bullets are all sabots. Just seems like the .50's are more universal. Make sense? Or stick with .54?

paulc

Reaction score
Hang it over the mantle with a flag out of the barrel that says bang or a flower. Buy yourself an inline. Unless your really into the Rendevous stuff and have already invested in a Trapper outfit, your life will be much easier with an inline.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
My bro has one I can borrow whenever. To me an inline is not a primitive weapon. I like the nostalgia of a trad ml. And my buckskin banana hammock needs to be worn.

shot_out

Reaction score
I don't know. I guess there is no harm in trying, but its rusted in pretty good. I don't see an extractor working. The good news is that Green Mountain sells complete barrelled sets so if I have to go that route at least its still workable..

Put some KROIL on it. That stuff works miracles!

antlrcolectr

Reaction score
Hope you get your's fixed, but just FYI, I've blackpowder hunted for almost 30 years - started with a CVA .45 cal Kentucky long rifle that I put together as a kit, it was an X-mas present from my older brother when I was about 14. A couple years ago I graduated to a TC ProHunter.

I ALLLLWAAAAYS remove the nipples till I'm ready to use the guns again.

sorry, but after proof reading that I just had to chuckle. :smiley-wnk-yellow: