My Truck got broken into

BIGCIM

Reaction score
Friday night my Truck got broken into in the gated parking garage of my apartment building. They stole everything out of my truck which included thousands of dollars worth of tools I use everyday as a finish carpenter. What sucks is it was hard enough trying to keep a job in this economy and now I have to go to work with no tools. I never steal from anyone. I have always said tool thief's are the scum of the earth. Stealing a tradesman's tools is taking the instruments he uses to feed his family. My full coverage truck insurance said they cant help me. LAPD basically told me they were to busy to come out and I had to make a police report over their phone. Anyone here no of any landowner liability in these situations. Also all you LA county TOFers kept a look out for guys trying to sell tools. All tools were name brand mostly Dewalt marked CIMY. Thanks
Any info my # is 3238420024

DMax

Reaction score
sorry to hear its happend to me more than once makes you sick to be invaded upon :smiley-devil: i now carry home owners insurance you might check into it

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Reaction score
If you have renters insurance, you should be covered! If not, it's less than $20 a month.

BIGCIM

Reaction score
Ya no renters insurance I thought my vehicle insurance covered stuff like that. The thing that sucks is my apartment complex has security cameras but I found out there are not working. I plan on calling the housing authority Monday to see if theres any kind of liability the landlord would have for giving us the false oppression that our cars are being watched. The cameras and gated parking is a facter a lot of people consider before they move into the building.

Lujack

Mr. September
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear your tools got jacked out of your truck. Unfortunately, this is a very commen occurrence. Women are always leaving their purses in their cars too when they go to the gym. Kids leave their Ipods on the seat when they are in school. If a crook looks into a car and sees something of vaulue they are going to take it. It is a crime of opportunity, that unfortunately the victim helps facilitate. At least you had your tools marked, but the markings might not do too much good even if they are recovered. The best way to mark your stuff is with your driver's license number. Any cop can identify the owner in about two minutes by running the number, and the bad guy can go to jail immediately. A social security number is no good by the way, as regular old cops have no way to run it to see who it belongs to.

Just as a word of warning to everyone, do not leave anything valuable in your vehicle because it will eventually be stolen. I know it sucks, but it is just the way it is now days.

BIGCIM

Reaction score
The people that the police said were going to show up today to fingerprint my truck never showed up. They said they might show up tomorrow. The police told me I shouldnt worry about fingerprinting and just go on with my life. Its fusterating just how numb this city has become to crime. I keep thinking about having to go to work Tuesday with no tools. I told the Mrs. I dont even want to construction anymore. This theft has really just broke me mentally. I told her Ill just be pissed off for the next five years every time I buy a tool that I already had. 10 years ago it was hard making $10 hr and buying tools all the time. I would tell the mrs. I cannot make more money without investing in tools. If any of you local TOFers have a job opening where it wouldnt require me replacing my tools please let me know.

Huntndogs

Reaction score
Sucks dude, some Departments have terrible customer service. Keep an eye on Craigslist or local swap meets for your tools.