My $7 dollar bird releaser

problemchild

Reaction score
While at prado Saturday getting infected by toxic plants I noticed a fellow gun dog person had a unique item. He called it a tip up. I searched the net and came up with $30 dollar bird tip up releasers painted green. I thought to myself green is an odd color as they would be hard as hell to find if you planted 7 of them in a green field.

At $30 bucks a pop that could get expensive really fast. I decided to make a bird releaser of my own for much less cost. One that if I lost would not be such a big deal. I chose white as the color as its easy to see in the field.

I went to lowes and bought some small plastic baskets and some brackets. The baskets were aprox 6 dollars and the bracket aprox 1 dollar. I bent the bracket and tie-wrapped it on the basket.

If you push on the bracket with your foot the pigeon flies away. It seems to work great.

regular_Tip_Up_BirdReleaser_2.jpg

Attachments

• Picture2_001a.jpg
    Picture2_001a.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 40

Huntndogs

Reaction score
The device is a great idea, but be carefull that your dog does not begin to sight point only with them. I would put a couple out sometimes with no bird in them to be sure of this or be sure and cover/hide them with grass and stop your dog or woah the dog into the point away from the release device.

That is good ingenuity though....

Ricky-2

Reaction score
QUOTE (Huntndogs @ Sep 16 2009, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=221697
The device is a great idea, but be carefull that your dog does not begin to sight point only with them. I would put a couple out sometimes with no bird in them to be sure of this or be sure and cover/hide them with grass and stop your dog or woah the dog into the point away from the release device.

That is good ingenuity though....

Why would you ever whoa the dog to make it point? Wouldn't that totally defeats the purpose of the releaser?

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
I allways put a piece of orange flag tape on stick near the release. easy to locate.