My 2017 AZ Archery Buck

BigWave

Reaction score
I'm still in a little bit of shock from the events of the last 24 hours. Wifey and I have been hip deep in good bucks for the last 3 weeks, but just haven't been able to make it happen. After having her in the middle of a bunch of nice bucks yesterday with no shot, I decided to go look at one of our favorite knobs that we hadn't been on since the December opener. I jumped up on top and got set up while the girls made their way up. Within a few minutes I found does, and then HE popped out! He was running does and pushing smaller bucks away, and kept making big circles while doing so. The girls got up top after a few minutes and Wifey immediately got him located in the glass. We came up with a quick plan and I was off and running. With only about 2 hours of daylight, we had to get busy! I wiggled in to his little zone about a half mile out and could see him pushing does about 100 yds away, making the same big sweeping circles. I slipped in closer when I could and after about 20 minutes I saw him trotting my way to snag a doe that was close to me. He was coming and was going to pass thru an opening that I had ranged at 50 yds. When the doe was about to clear the palo verde, I drew. The buck cleared and stopped perfectly, and the arrow was on the way. I hit him a little back and after finding my arrow and it almost being dark, decided to come back and hopefully find where Wifey had watched him go into a wash. We were there at first light this morning and my amazing wife and daughter hiked to the top of the big knob again and gave me directions. They walked me straight to my buck. What a day!!! My best buck by far with any weapon!! I'm a very blessed fella to be able to have these 2 ladies as my hunting partners. We tend to have a little fun!! :smiley-yellow:

Attachments

• AZ2017a.JPG
    AZ2017a.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PackN.jpg
    PackN.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Racer.jpg
    Racer.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 6

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Awesome! Great to see the family shot too!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Dang Dave congrats.......Great looking buck.......What'd that sum bitch go width wise?

BigWave

Reaction score
ilovesprig said:
Dang Dave congrats.......Great looking buck.......What'd that sum bitch go width wise?
Thank you Steve! 30 7/8". I'm still a tad in shock! From a guy that is usually content to shoot fat forkeys, I'm a little in disbelief!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Wow!.....A 30 incher and having the family with you........Doesn't get much better than that......Super happy for you.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Reaction score
Good lord, damn good buck! Width is killer, what's he score, gross? Congrats!!!!!

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Holy crap Dave! No ground shrinkage on that dude. What an awesome buck!

BigWave

Reaction score
Arrowslinger said:
Good lord, damn good buck! Width is killer, what's he score, gross? Congrats!!!!!
No idea Kirk. A buddy that saw him today thinks somewhere in the low 80 range, gross.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
I like AZ..Alot...im liking the desert in TX This time of year also..Strong work bro!! Way to geek him!! I gotta ask..See any dove out there?? We are stacked with the little grey fellas this time of year..Amazing birds!!

BigWave

Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
I like AZ..Alot...im liking the desert in TX This time of year also..Strong work bro!! Way to geek him!! I gotta ask..See any dove out there?? We are stacked with the little grey fellas this time of year..Amazing birds!!
Ha! No dove, but had to nab one of these little guys for the fry pan!! Love me some cottontail!

Attachments

• Wabbit.jpg
    Wabbit.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 5

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Right on dude..I've been blasting scaled Quail all week for appetizers my self..Jalapeno and cream cheese..Did not do AZ this year.been stuck in TX...One of the knuckleheads drew desert rat here in AZ.so will be turning um loose the end of Feb for that...Really nothing better than hunting with the kids at this stage of the game....I just point and drive..L.O.L..

BigWave

Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
Right on dude..I've been blasting scaled Quail all week for appetizers my self..Jalapeno and cream cheese..Did not do AZ this year.been stuck in TX...One of the knuckleheads drew desert rat here in AZ.so will be turning um loose the end of Feb for that...Really nothing better than hunting with the kids at this stage of the game....I just point and drive..L.O.L..

Awesome! Good for you bro. I'm sure that it's pretty rough for you but I'm sure you'll make it!!! :smiley-wnk-yellow:

Enjoy the time!!!

El Maton

Reaction score
Jeeezus! Awesome! That little girly is getting big...great job bro....bad ass all the way around!

BOHNTR

Reaction score
What an amazing desert buck, Dave.....congrats once again! I take it I'll see him in 60 days?