My 2015 Wyo Buck

BigWave

Reaction score
I don't do many rifle hunts any more, but this was sure a good time! I have a good buddy that lives in the eastern part of the state, and we agreed that it was time to hunt together up there again this year. We had an amazing time!

We had found this buck on the 2nd night of the hunt about an hour before dark about a mile (and 5 deep canyons) away from us. We watched him and his 2 little buddies feed over the ridge away from us and figured that we would be there looking for him the next morning at first light.
We hiked 2 of the 3 miles in in the dark and started glassing looking for that group of bucks. We had glassed the slope they were feeding on, as well as everything else we could see and could not come up with a single deer. We decided to walk down the drainage that was between us and the next huge face. We had moved down into the bottom of the drainage when Mike looked over and saw our group busting out of the bottom. They ran across the ridge behind us that we had just come through and went out of site. We flipped around and figured that they would most likely settle back down somewhere in the bottom of the next big drainage. We hiked back up and over the top and sat down to pick all of the country apart with our bino's to locate them. We could not. As we got most of the way down the bottom of that slope, I caught movement over to my left and saw his 2 little buddies standing in the sage about 250 yards away just looking at us. We sat down and glassed for my buck, but couldn't locate him. Did he take off on his own? The 2 little guys slowly trotted off. Mike whipped out his spotter and started picking apart the sage where the other 2 were standing. After about 10 minutes, he came up with the top fork of my bucks rack. He was bedded right there and figured he was outta site! I set up to shoot thinking he would probably stand soon. Ranged at 247 yds. It was raining and windy at this point and blowing about 20 mph. I carry a monopod to glass off of when rifle hunting, and was going to shoot off of that. We waited....and waited. After an hour plus, we were both shaking really bad from it being so cold. I put the gun up on the monopod to see how steady I was, and was pretty worried about making the shot in the wind, cold and from shaking so bad. Actually pretty stressed about it! I kept looking over at Mikes legs and they were shaking so bad, and mine were too! We were freezing!!! Mike finally looked over and said, "think we should try to make him stand?". I said "yeah, we better soon or we're gonna freeze out here!!" We got everything ready for the shot and I let out a loud "wahhh", and he stood instantly, looked our way head on for about a minute, then turned and slowly took 3 or 4 steps like he was going to bolt. On his 4th step I took my shot when his leg was forward. It was perfect, center mass right behind the shoulder! He went 20 yards and piled. About a 3 mile pack out up and down ridges and canyons and it was done!

My buddy Mike ended up shooting a nice 3x3 2 days later. It was a pretty tough hunt with not many deer found. I shot the biggest buck we had seen up until we were packing Mikes buck out. We were 5 miles away from the truck and got about halfway out. We rounded a bend in the bottom of a canyon and had a 27-28" heavy 3x3 standing there looking at us for over a minute at 85 yards. Good times!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6695.JPG
    IMG_6695.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 2

BigWave

Reaction score
Mike's buck and a going away shot of the big 3 we bumped into on the way out. Another buddy shot a 4x3 hunting a different area. All our heads on the garage floor. I'm on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_6711.JPG
    IMG_6711.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6713.jpg
    IMG_6713.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6730.jpg
    IMG_6730.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 3

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Dave,

Great buck and play by play........The going away pic is bitchin'....... :smiley_10sign:

Congrats to all........ :2:

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Good job Dave. That seems like an unfair advantage for you to have a rifle.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Some of my best hunts have been in Wyoming, I love wyoming,its no A-zone..but still love it .. Great bucks!

2rocky

Reaction score
Eastern Wyoming is no cakewalk. I got my ass handed to me there only first out of state hunt. To get 3 nice bucks is an accomplishment. The picture of the 3 really shows how nice your buck is.

BigWave

Reaction score
Yeah John, it was seriously a tough hunt. I feel pretty blessed to kill the buck that I did in the limited amount of time I had there. Great memories buddy!!

El Maton

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with useing the BOOM stick everynow and again! CONGRATS!
SALU! :beer-toast: