Muzzleloader questions.

fishingkid

Reaction score
I have drawn a muzzleloader tag this year and currently do not own a muzzleloader in years passed I have barrowed family guns to use. I have shot a couple inline knight muzzleloaders and that's my only expierances.my question is what models and brands of muzzleloaders have you used and liked or disliked from bass pro shops? I have a few hundred in bass pro gift cards I'd like to burn up. There eating a whole in my pocket and I can use a muzzleloader this sept.any advice would be appreciated as I have very little experience. I can't use a scope on this tag so iron sites it is. I prefer not to buy combo stuff with a scope anyways. Thanks

bpnclark

Reaction score
I shoot a TC Omega. I love it. My dad has the Bone Collector Triumph. It’s okay but I don’t think its worth the $600-$700 (but if you are burning gift cards, it might not be so bad!). My brother has the Pro Hunter. I don’t like the feel of it. I shot my dad’s friend’s Traditions Vortex. I didn’t like the trigger. I’m looking at buying a new mz that’s legal in Idaho. I’m looking at the Knight Bighorn or Disc with the Western kit but I’ve never held one. Too bad you cant take one to the range before you buy one.

My advice would be to try to shoot one before you buy it. And if you want to hunt other states with it, make sure you can make it legal there, or plan on buying another one. And if you have to use open sights, make sure to buy and use a peep sight! Put that thing as far back on the barrel you can.

Good luck!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
dude..better get shooting..alot..dont wanna miss that chance at old mossback when he steps out and all you hear and see..is KAPOOOOWWW and smoke..and no mr. mossback.. them smokepoles aint like rifles...theres definetly a learning curve there..i bought the kids a traditions beartooth years ago...basic as you can get..its a .50 cal that will hold a magnum load 150 grains of powder..ive never loaded it up with that much though....i have them set up with 100 grains{2 pellets] of IMR whitehot..and shoot a 295 grain powerbelt copper pill thru it...does the job plenty..cal is also iron sights only..so realistically..50 -75yd shots are optimal..try looking thru iron sights at deer sized critters at a 100yds or more...and you'll see what i mean,,tiny,, anyways..whatever you end up with..shoot it alot before you head out for the murder..if i was to by another one...id get one like bp has..and have the option of putting come good glass on it for the states that allow it..

Backstrap Guy

Reaction score
Have the TC Triumph, love it. I always buy the best I can afford after doing all my research including talking to other gun owners. Have shot it with open sights and did fine out to 100 yards. Do admit to having put a scope on it when I shot a New Mexico bull. Good luck.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I have a TC Omega Z5 and love it. feels good,shoots good. I have mine scoped w/Nikon DC.

Hatch is right about hunting with open sights on MZs. Way different than even regular rifle.

And Ryan is on target about the peep sight if you have to go that way.

Some states don't even allow the open sights with flourecent/fiber dots, so it depends on where your going. Same with different powders.

TonyS

Reaction score
Another vote for the TC Omega. I have never put a scope on mine. Bought it for M7 tags. Last animal was at 156 yds with iron sights.

Practice, practice. What was said above is completely true. Once you sight in and pull the trigger you are going to see alot of smoke. And remember this isn't an autoloader. One shot.

I use 250 gr. damned Barnes copper with 90-100 grains of Blackhorn 209. And use CCI 209 primers. There is a difference-throw any Winchester away unless you want to see a puff of smoke when your target runs away.

Good luck!

fishingkid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice ill be going down to check them out here hopefully in the next week or so. Anyone know of a place I can shoot throughout the summer? With my tag opening sept. 10th Ill have to figure out a way to get in some practice during the summer months. All
My shooting spots are winter only do to fire season. I'm currently located in hemet not sure if there's a rifle range within a hour of driving?

7DUX

Reaction score
Join the range in Rainbow.

ppine

Reaction score
Lots of muzzleloaders will shoot if you find the right combination for them. I agree with the practice idea. Every time you shoot one you are hand loading it. It is hard for most people to be accurate with iron sights past about 125-140 yards. It can be done downrange with enough reps.

Round balls are intuitively appealing, but have a terrible ballistic coefficient (BC). It is best not to hunt with them. There are plenty of great projectiles for the new modern mls, both sabots and pointed big slugs. They have the faster barrel twist. I still shoot an old T/C Hawken perc in .54 cal that I built from a kit back in 1980. It is surprisingly accurate with large pointed slugs made for the rate of twist. There is a guy in Manitoba that makes great bullets for that rifle and they carry energy downrange in an impression fashion much like the more modern guns. I use a new style nipple with a little hotter caps. They are still not suitable for white hots, blackthorn, or pellets. Some of those new powders and pellets are suitable for modern ignition systems but not the older ones. The Lyman Plains rifle is another good example of an older traditional design that will shoot with anything if you feed it with the right components.

fishingkid

Reaction score
I went to bass pro last Friday held all the muzzleloaders they had on display the one I thought I'd like the best after looking online was a tc ended up just not fitting right. The best fitting gun was a traditions vortek striker fire anyone have experience with this model? I attempted to make the purchase but was told they do not have any muzzleloaders in stock besides the displays which were beat to shit I wouldn't ever consider without taking big chunk of money off which they won't do.

TonyS

Reaction score
GunsAmerica or gunbroker will have much better ;prices. And since its a muzzleloader and NOT a gun they can send it in the mail to you. No FFL. Please take a another look at TC. With some of the 'other' muzzleloaders , as Hatch says

"KABOOOOOM!!"