MNP Youth Quail hunt.

kayakruner

Reaction score
I took my son out for the Youth quail opener at the Mojave national preserve. We had a great time. Got to meet some great people and new faces. We visited with friends from San Jacinto and Wister. The weather was nice. We had to work for the birds but our trusty pointer did an excellent job flushing them out. There was an abundance of cottontail and jacks. Thanks to everyone that made it possible and all of the sponsors. Till next year!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1

nicapopolis

Reaction score
That looks like a good time.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Outstanding.....How were the overall numbers of birds?.....Any chukar in that area?

gnn961

Reaction score
We( older son, grandson) were also there and my grandson got his first quail on sat morning. Kyle my youngest son had a ice hockey game Friday night that he didn't want to miss so he stayed home. This junior hunt is such a blast for the kids and parents to attend. Thanks to all that were involved in putting this together year after year quite the labor of love.Out of the 52 hunters I believe only 20 quail were bagged probably due to the fact that these birds like to run more than fly, tough to get them to flush. We saw probably 70 to 80 birds out of 3 coveys with the largest covey being about 40 or so. Some of the other groups didn't see as many and some saw none. Fair number of jacks and cottontails but we weren't after those,as far as chukar we didn't see any.

Attachments

• Jake.jpg
    Jake.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0

hhough853

Reaction score
Very well organized and executed event! Great people too! Bird numbers are on a rebound, but no where near what they were 5/6 years ago.