Lost my favorite hunting partner - Dad

chessie

Reaction score
No one knows what to really do when you favorite hunting partner passes away. Relive in your mind the many moments you had together. Think back on all the great conversations you had when the skies where empty. Look at the lab left behind knowing how many hundreds of birds he brought to hand. Remember how proud he was seeing the joy on your face when you dropped your first bird. Thanking him for opening the outdoors to you. I've done them all as my dad passed peacefully in his sleep early this week. He hunted across the US, chasing ducks and deer in NY, pheasants, quail and rabbit in MD, ducks and geese in WI, even goat and dove in HI. Not to mention the hundreds of fishing trips he took his family on. A true sportsman. I will miss him and I will miss sharing the outdoors with him. Love ya, Dad.

mouthcallinmatt

Reaction score
Matt, I have a feeling you will have some special days this coming season. I know I did when my Grandpa passed away. A flood of memories & hopefully some special moments that can only be explained as a note from your Dad that he's watching over you.

May God comfort you & your family.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Sad to hear, glad your memories are fond memories.

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Reaction score
And here I thought I was your favorite hunting partner Matt !! Lol !! Just trying to make ya smile !!!
Great words about your Pops, sorry I wasn’t able to meet him ; would have told him what a loser you are !! Lol !! Sounds like a good man !!!!
Julie and I are continuing to pray for you and your family !!! May God continue to watch over you all !!!

Duckfan

Reaction score
Heartbreaking to read this Matt....

I know the feeling...and just how much it hurts.

One thing I suggest is to find a favorite decoy that you and he shared. Or pick one you know can represent those times in the marsh. If it is beat up, needs paint or whatever - just leave it as is.

Use it on every hunt you go on from now on. If it can't still float, then put in on an island. But, find a way to 'take him' along with you. Just tossing that deke(s) out each trip will spark old memories before each hunt, and when picking up for day, give you a chance to say thanks for one more day hunting.

May God Bless the family, and accept dad into his arms - saying "well done"!