Looking for rabbits

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Okay so it’s been years since I have hunted Rabbits, but my 8 year old wants me to take him out on a hunt. I also have just introduced two guys into the hunting sport. They just went through the hunter’s safety class and want to go hunt something. So I figure I will take hem all out for a rabbit hunt.

Problem is that I haven't been out for rabbits in a long time. I know there are a few areas near by in the Banning pass area but I have heard that the rabbits taken from areas near agriculture are better tasting. Since it’s their first taste of rabbit I best go where they taste the best. I want to take them to Imperial and look around the fields. Does anyone care to share an area or two where I can get these newcomers into some rabbits? Please PM me.

Also is there any truth behind alfalfa feed rabbit’s vs. desert shrub rabbits?

gab909

Reaction score
I haven't noticed it. The bunnies from the scrub taste just as good as the bunnies from the yard. I believe its all in the Chef. Had ducks out of the rice and they were some of the worst ducks I ever ate, had some out of the sea that were some of the tastiest.

Spaslab

Reaction score
Without giving away any spots, everywhere I have gone that has had water in the deserts has had tons of rabbits. Anywhere that is not near water has been dead city. Finding that water can be a bit of a challenge, but there are areas that always have it, get a map and decide how far you want to drive. Don't look for creeks, look for rivers this year...

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Spaslab, Thanks for the info. When I was a teenager, all you’re needed to do was find a green field and you were golden but in today’s age they seem to all be posted and or dry. I'm hoping to stay towards the northern area of the IV. Some where near Niland. I just want these new guys to get hooked on the sport. I fed them some ducks and talked a good game and they ran out and got their hunter safety class. Now I have to finish the job and get them into a fun experience.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
good luck manny... a friend of mine and his boy just got their license and want to go.... they just bought to shotguns and get them Friday... told them to wait til they get their guns and we'll go...

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Thanks I will call Wister and see. I know Finey Ramey allows hunting but not sure if .22 's are allowed.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Wister allows rabbit hunting, but no rifles..........Also, some area's are closed............ :smiley-no-no-yellow:

Lots of rabbits surrounding Wister as well........Just find alfalfa near wild lands.

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Well took my friend (and our kids who dont hunt yet) out for his first ever hunt. We went to IV looking for rabbits. We didnt do so well. I have not hunted rabbits since I was a teen but we figured we could find a spot some where.

We arrived at the fist spot at 0600 and didnt see a thing. Drove to another and saw one rabbit and lots of sign but no shot. Drove around looking for a spot and found one area that looked good. My friend got out and walked about 30 yards from the truck while I got the kids out and set them up with their BB guns. Before I could finish I hear two shots. I then see him swing and point in another direction for a third shot but in his excitement he forgot to eject the last shot. By the time he realized to eject the old shell he lost sight of the rabbit.

He ended up with one rabbit. As he tells his story he tells me he saw one rabbit which he could not get a shot off, then sees a second and missed that one, sees the tird and nails it then saw a fourth but forgot to eject the shell.

That was the last rabbit we saw. We searched and searched for a few more hours but nothing. Ended the day with the kids target shooting. My friend seamed to be hooked and wants to go again (which I am glad to hear considering it was a slow hunt). The kids had a blast with the .22, 410 and 12 ga.

Although he looks like he had fun I hope I can get him into better hunting next time.

View attachment 47440

Maybe we will have a better hunt on the upcoming dove opener. Check out this tree loaded with doves.

View attachment 47441

Attachments

• imagejpeg_21.jpg
    imagejpeg_21.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02665.JPG
    DSC02665.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 12

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Nice Jose.........................I'm surprised you saw so few cottontails. I was there tuesday and saw plenty............It is getting pretty hot and they're probably getting more & more nocturnal.

Love the pic of the doves in the tree........................ :smiley_10sign:

whiterabbit

Reaction score
I went hunting for my first time ever last week at and around Indian Flats. I didnt see one rabbit. As I was walking around I kept seeing piles of fresh rabbit poop. I didnt think rabbits pooped that much so just figured they pooped in same spot over and over. When I got home I did a google search and found out it was deer poop. I did see several does. Truck broke down (fuel pump) on 79 and no cell phone coverage.

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Ya i think we foound then too late in the day. I'm going to take him out again in the next couplen of weeks but I think this time I will stay local around hemet, san jacinto, banning ect. So if anyone is willing to share info it would be appreciated. :36:

TonyS

Reaction score
O'dark 30 is when you have to be out there. If you can see your feet it's almost over.

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
Ya but too far of a drive for a one day hunt.
You're probably 3 hours from Indy...and at least 2 hours from Niland.

So...drive two hours, kill a rabbit.
Drive three hours, limit by 0800....then shoot all the jackrabbits you want. And bring home some trout as well.

You're right, probably not worth it. :smiley-sorry:

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Steve and I might take you up on it some time. Independence (per google maps) is 4 hours from me and 2 from Niland. However, I might make a weekend of it and drive up there if I get a chance before duck season. If I do, I will most certinaly reach out to you. Thanks again

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Jose,

There's no need to drive all the way to Niland. The northend of the sea has plenty of farmland, vineyards, and shootable areas (Indio, Valerie Jean, Mecca, Thermal). While your there, you can also scout for doves & gambels.................. :2:

Romney 2012