Looking for Jacks!

Nimrod74

Reaction score
Thinking about heading out to either McCain Valley or maybe Pine Creek Wilderness for Jackrabbits. Anybody wanna school me on these locations? Is this a good idea or is there somewhere else in SD County I should go.

Trying to use up some of my .22lr lead before the ban.

Thanks

Todd

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Just make sure they're jacks this time of year before posting.............................Just sayin'........................ :smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign:

SCREWLOOSE

Reaction score
Ask the oversized outdoorsman to ID your bunny before you post the pics.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
They like the desert washes.....

1984cj7

Reaction score
who posted a picture of a baby "jack" on this site, I missed it can it be reposted?

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
The funny thing is his dad shot it and the kid had to finish it off.........

The best was FB bragging over his only edible mammal kill and it was out of season.....it was too much........

Nimrod74

Reaction score
So look for extra long ears, black tail, really long legs, and don't shoot cotton tails. Understood. Anyone have any feelings about the two locations mentioned? Mjb, by your comment, I would think McCain would probably be a better choice.

Appreciate all the warnings about not shooting something out of seasons. Reminds me of the story my Hunter Safety Instructor told when I took the class in Colorado. He recounted working the Game Check Station Coming out of Rifle, Co. Apparently two days before 1st season rifle opened, a local muleskinner lost two of his prize mules. Of course you know where this is going... Two hunters from Nebraska drove up and happened to have filled their Cow tags with two elk that were spotted hanging out together. When they pulled the tarp off the bed of the truck, there were two beautifully field dressed prize mules. Needless to say, the hunters were in a bit of trouble and the muleskinner was a little upset but the DOW officers and volunteers were amused.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Jack Rabbit................Cottontail................ :smiley-wnk-yellow:

Good luck......... :thumbs-up-ani:

Attachments

• IMG_8333.JPG
    IMG_8333.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1340.JPG
    DSCF1340.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7988.JPG
    IMG_7988.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7987.JPG
    IMG_7987.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 0

Nimrod74

Reaction score
ilovesprig, thanks for the photos. I've been enjoying your bunny hunting exploits.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
Every year on the opener for pheasants in the IV I see someone shoot a road runner thinking its an ugly pheasant........it's better than stalking someone's turkey decoy........

I'd hit both places for jacks just make sure they have long ears a long front legs.......I look for cactus and then little green grass spots close to thick cover or a trail.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
get on your dirt bike and ride as fast as you can tell you find them, then see how good you are and try to run them down, lot and lots of hunt............ well tell you crash then it hurts........