looking for an opinion...

bmax

Reaction score
my pockets are no where as deep as i'd like and i really want a "do it all" rifle. something for deer, elk, and whatever else has a heart beat that i can get a tag for. i think i've narrowed my choice of round to 300win mag or 7mm rem mag. i'm leaning toward the 300 due to the better ballistics with a heavier grain bullet. that being said, i don't know what rifle maker to go with. i've looked at remington, tikka, howa, savage, and mossberg. they all feel comfortable and i can picture every one of them in the gun safe. the thing is, a few are easier on the wallet. does anyone have an opinion on the mossberg 4x4 or tikka t3lite? just curious what other hunters/shooters thought. each company hipes there product up so much it's hard to believe what they say. thanks for any response in advance.

DMax

Reaction score
:laughing-pounding-floor: are you kiss in some A## new tire's, rifle or is your last batch of brew work'in the wifes good side ;) add a bow to the list and a lab....save me some!!!!

bmax

Reaction score
gonna get rid of some things in hopes to buy a new rifle. $40 bucks for plasma sounds pretty good, and you get a gram cracker with some orange juice when you're done...mmm, gram cracker. the bow might have to wait. i might look a little pale over the next few months, but i'll have a smile on my face once i get the new toy.

SpoonySlayer

Reaction score
Bmax, i gotta guy in Pacoima that'll give you $60 for the plasma.... you have to bring your own juice and crackers though.....

I've heard good things about the T3.. have you looked at the savage's?

what are you doing saturday? want to work on the boats?

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra.....
Reaction score
Oakley, California (via Brentwood- about 4 miles d
I have the Browning A-Bolt in the 300 win. Great gun -- Love the removable clip. Bolt fully removes and replaces so easy. Easy reading and on/off safety

Very accurate with Remington Corelok's 180 grain. -- So much so that I can not get at all close to matching them on my own handloads.

Scope base was around $40 with rings, Topped it off with a Lupold V-ll 3x9x40, sling is the nylon 3 point from Walmart.

Ruger was the other action I was interested in- but was heavier in wieght.

You will also want to get a good bore cleaning kit to use on it before you shoot it, after every 20 rounds and cooled down at the range -- then fire two before storage as they will be flyiers.

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my col
Reaction score
If you're concerned about $$$ look at a Howa or Weatherby 30-06. Best round in North America and it'll do whatever you want it to. The T3 is a great gun and certainly a great value for the money. If you do have to go with a magnum round, my vote: 300 Winmag.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
If you're concerned about $$$ look at a Howa or Weatherby 30-06. Best round in North America and it'll do whatever you want it to.
I agree, although I've killed Elk, deer and pigs with my .270.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Have you tried to shoot a bear with it yet?
Nope. I prefer my .06 for Bear hunting. If I spot a bear while I'm deer hunting and I have my .270, I have no problem using it.

Arise

Reaction score
If money was not an issue and it was going to be a factory rifle I would go w/ Sako.

My next rifle I buy (very soon) will be a Tikka T3. The Finn's have it dialed in.

Just like Jimm said, It's going to be difficult to find a more accurate rifle out of the box.

Good Luck.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
bmax I have the weatherby vanguard in 06. I got the whole sha bang with scope for just under 600$ If money is a concern like it was when I got mine It's a great deal. If I remember right they had the 300 for the same price. I would like to get a different scope but till the cash starts rolling in it works just fine.

If you want to shoot it give me a hollar and we can take it down to the range on a sat

bmax

Reaction score
i think i might have decided on a bow, most likely a martin or browning :smiley-eatin-popcorn: the wifes uncle said i can use his '06 whenever i need to because it's gathering dust. by the time i'll be able to afford to go on another elk hunt, i'll be able to afford the rifle i want. so, patience is the name of the game. 95% sure of the tikka t3 lite 300WM, leupold VX-II... not sure if i should go with the blued barrel or SS but that should about rap it up. thanks again for the info and opinions guys. talking with folks more or less fortified my reasoning for that set up. R/ bryan

by the way, does anyone need the lawn mowed or any odd jobs taken care of around their house. the money will go to a great cause. :smiley-eatin-popcorn: