Living in Fawnskin

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Reaction score
So I just hit 3 weeks as a mountain man and it's been a lot of fun. I live in Fawnskin, walking distance to the lake, post office and the Moose Lodge (yes, I became a member). I bought my AO tag and just paid for the annual boat permit. The shore fishing is pretty good if you know where and when to go, but tonight will be my maiden voyage on Betsy XXII.

I've been going on scouting trips every night to get back in shape and find a good area to hunt. The Band Tailed Pigeons are thick, but they stay in the tree tops and I rarely see them w/in shotgun range unless they're raiding the bird feeder. I found a couple decent areas for deer in the shotgun only areas, which will work well for archery. Lots of tracks and good sign. I could hear Mountain quail, but I have yet to see any.

The locals here in Fawnskin are a colorful bunch. Lots of ex-hippies and blue collar folks. So far I love it here. No tourists crowds, very little traffic and very good access to my hunting areas.

Just thought I would check in. I'm going to keep an eye out for Bishop. I know he has a lot of lake knowledge, so I'll bring my bino's when I'm on the lake and try to see what lure he's using. ;)

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Glad to hear your settling in Steve. Keep a eye on them band tails will ya

7DUX

Reaction score
Keep an eye for a guy name Curt Dills that lives in Fawnskin now. He's an all around outdoorsman that guides on the lake and used to hunt Wister a lot.

mouthcallinmatt

Reaction score
That's good to hear Steve! I'm sure you are soaking in all the peace & quiet.

Jeff, Curt Dills is still kicking around? I haven't seen him in a long time. He was good friends with my Grandpa.

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
The locals here in Fawnskin are a colorful bunch.
That's just a bit of an understatement.

I have had a place on the south side of the lake since 1990, backed up against the forest. Band tailed pigeons are everywhere, can practically hit them with a shovel. Until the short season rolls around and then they go into hiding. Same for the quail, walking all over the lot all summer and fall, then they disappear when the season approaches. Good luck.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Mud Pigeon said:
Keep an eye for a guy name Curt Dills that lives in Fawnskin now. He's an all around outdoorsman that guides on the lake and used to hunt Wister a lot.
He was the original tour guide at MCC too.....Tell him hi, if you meet him Stevo.

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Reaction score
I'll ask a few Moose members about Curt. Sounds like the right guy to get to know.. Tonight I passed on fishing to eat at the lodge (cook your own Porterhouse and darts... yeah, I was all over it). Betsy will hit the water at 6:00am tomorrow and lead me to the fish. I have a few leaded line rigs, a fish finder and a spinner/jig rod to make sure I put the odds in my favor. Hopefully there will be a bloody sink pic to follow... Life is so good I can't quantify it with words!

chessie

Reaction score
Awesome Pitters. Glad you have found a place to hang the hat. Looking forward to hearing the adventures.

7DUX

Reaction score
mouthcallinmatt said:
That's good to hear Steve! I'm sure you are soaking in all the peace & quiet.

Jeff, Curt Dills is still kicking around? I haven't seen him in a long time. He was good friends with my Grandpa.
Matt, he was recently I know. Hopefully he's still doing well. He takes clients out on a pontoon boat to troll on BBL.

Bishop

Reaction score
Chino, Ca., Mammoth Lakes/Big Bear (part time)
Wish I could live there full time. We've had a condo at Boulder Bay for 18 years. But Fawnskin's probably the best place around the lake to live. No village traffic, close to the lake, and best shore fishing on the lake. You can shoot up to Big Pine Flat, Coxey Meadow, Horse Springs for hunting.

karstic

Reaction score
Congrats on the move.

Looks like we both have new hunting grounds to learn.

Loveguns

Reaction score
Steve great place get after them bandtails them mt quail want too go high when pushed a little.

Greg

hank4elk

Reaction score
Fawnskin....or foreskin Pitters? lol
That the one near Big Bear? Tahoe?......lol
I know of 4 Fawnskin areas in CA.
Oh,congrats on getting out.

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes! :beer-toast:

I took Betsy out and was on the water at 6:00am. As soon as I loaded the boat, I noticed a leak in the bow that was caused by all the wear over many years of loading it and unloading it. Once my fat arse was in, the bow lifted and I was in business. 10 minutes into the trip, I get hooked up with only 1 1/2 colors of leadded line out (Half Fast flasher and a florescent needlefish). It was a little stocker. I started to get excited and trolled over to the "trout triangle". The water temp was 74 and there were weeds everywhere making trolling tough.

Then the wind really started to blow and I decided to call it at 9:00. The guides weren't trolling much that morning. By 7:30 I was the only troller on the lake. They went west and it looked like they were drifting and using slip-bobbers. I spoke to a guy at the dock and he said the water temp has the fish very inactive. They were getting grabs at 12' and 20 - 25' of water around the west end.

I'm now up to 3.4 miles on my daily scouting trips (yes, I'm actually walking and getting exercise). Monday I found a lot of good sign and I think I know where they're bedding down. There's a lot of advantages to archery hunting as I am able to get much closer to the houses than I would with a rifle. I'm heading out as soon as I finish this post. I'm going to bring a side arm due to all the M lion tracks.

This is truly an awesome place to live. My boys haven't visited yet and I'm missing them a lot, but my daughter and future son-in-law have been visiting and keeping in touch.

On 09/01/2017 I will officially be working from my home office. I'll continue to drive down the hill when I need to meet with clients, but that's only once or twice a week and I'll write off the miles.
Life is good!

paulc

Reaction score
Sounds like a great move for you. I remember back in the day drifting night crawlers in BB lake. did pretty well. I am a meat fisherman, so I just like my line being yanked.