Let's hear it for Mr. Ethics himself

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
Some of these politicians just can't keep their pants on... Now, how's Nancy gonna skate around to cover her own butt as it becomes clear whether she tried to shine this one on.
Curse of the Mark Foley Seat, Now Mahoney's
Rep. Tim Mahoney (D-Fla.) publicly apologized to his constituents and family today by reading a statement that implicitly, at least, seemed to acknowledge some sort of violation of his marriage. Though he did not outright admit to any wrongdoing.

Mahoney read a brief statement at a news conference saying: "I have not violated my oath of office, nor have I broken any laws and I consider this to be a private matter. I take full responsibility for my actions and the pain that I have caused my wife Terry and my daughter Bailey. No marriage is perfect, but our private life is our private life. I'm sorry that these allegations have caused embarrassment and heartache."

The congressman's alleged extramarital affair with a staffer and promise to pay her $121,000 to avoid a lawsuit was reported Monday by ABC News. (The link also includes audio of a man ABC News identifies as Mahoney angrily firing his alleged mistress and staffer, Patricia Allen, after she reportedly broke up with him.)

The story is getting more attention for its irony. Mahoney was elected two years ago in the Palm Beach area to replace former Republican congressman Mark Foley, who infamously resigned in disgrace over revelations of his lewd text messages and e-mails to teenage boys serving as House pages. Mahoney campaigned on a platform to restore integrity to the seat, and his campaign's current reelection literature includes "Faith and Family - Where I Stand."

Mahoney insisted this morning, "I have not misused campaign funds and I am confident that when all the facts come to light, I will be completely vindicated. The people in my district know that I'm a fighter and I'm not going to allow this politically motivated story coming out 20 days before the election to change my resolve to serve the people of the 16th Congressional District. I have worked hard and I am prepared to put my faith in the people and ask for their vote."

Just a week ago, Mahoney looked like a shoo-in for reelection. He led his GOP challenger, Tom Rooney, by about 20 points in polling, and won the endorsement of the Palm Beach Post. But the ABC News story of his alleged extramarital affair broke this week, the newspaper wrote an editorial demanding Mahoney come clean.

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), who has earned the nickname "Rahmbo" for his rough-and-tumble approach to politics, confronted Mahoney well over a year ago about his rumored bad behavior. Emanuel's office released a statement saying, "Upon hearing a rumor, Congressman Emanuel confronted Congressman Mahoney, told him he was in public life and had a responsibility to act accordingly and appropriately, and urged him to do so. They had no further conversations on this topic."

That confrontation occurred in early 2007, and Emanuel didn't know that that the woman in question was a staffer or that payments (read: hush money) were involved until he was informed by ABC News, according to a source close to the congressman.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has called for a House ethics investigation into the allegations against Mahoney. At this point, Democratic leaders don't mind tossing Mahoney overboard given their extremely lucky Election Day forecast. "The environment is good. Any other time we would be belly aching and crying," one high-level Democratic political operative tells us.

While House Democrats are openly predicting gains of 12 to 15 seats, Republicans are quietly yet confidently predicting Democratic gains in the House of at least 20 seats and perhaps as many as 30.

Beastslayer

Reaction score
There must be something in the water out there.

So API, pray tell me, why is this about Nancy again? Is it now her responsibility to hold up the zippers of her colleagues?

And unlike Foley, this is not man-to-boy relationship.

cduck

Reaction score
And unlike Foley, this is not man-to-boy relationship.

The dems aren't innocent of this either.....or do you wnat to go there??

Beastslayer

Reaction score
...or do you wnat to go there??

No I don't want to go there. :smiley-cool-shades-down:

But you can show us an example of a membership card to Log Cabin Republican (Club?). :smiley-bowdown-purple:

cduck

Reaction score
But you can show us an example of a membership card to Log Cabin Republican (Club?).

You may be surprised to know that I am one Republican that believes that we should embrace fellow Republicans, no matter what their sexual orientation is. I think we need to continue to be a party of inclusion rather than exclusion. As much as I love Ronald Reagan, this chit didn't start to happen until Falwell came in and created the Moral Majority.

I am a Christian (Catholic), but I don't feel that it's my place to judge people or their sins while they are on Earth. That's God's job when that person meets their maker.

I consider myself more of a Goldwater Republican. Barry would be considered way too moderate on social issues by the hard-core party conservatives in today's environment.

Beastslayer

Reaction score
Hey, I'm with you here. Well, except the "embrace fellow Republicans" part. I'd rather shake their hands. Ok, not that also, remembering Larry Craig's picking-up-the-toilet-paper-on-the-floor defence. :35:

It is just really sad about the politics of division, scorch-earth, dishonor the enemy, question the patriotism black props tactics of Rove and his disciples.

That's why I'm so proud of these Dems. Clinton was quoted as saying on TV that the Republicans have as much resolve to a better government as the Dems -- only each has different approach. And then, the preambles of Obama and Biden saying that McCain is an honorable man and served the country with valor.

I am/was(?) a Catholic but now attending a non-denominational church. I was a product of Catholic education and have a nephew who is a priest. I probably have a certifiable good ancestry as my great-great-great grandfather could have been a priest. :35:

We have much in common and to tell you frankly, I don't hate anyone for their political or religious views. It's a source of amusement for me though how our perspective of things differ.

Coondog

Reaction score
It is just really sad about the politics of division, scorch-earth, dishonor the enemy, question the patriotism black props tactics of Rove and his disciples

What a crock of bull sh*t.. you never cease to amaze me with you constant ignorance.. You can ignore your party's faults all you want to, and you continue to do so every day. But trying to pretend that only the republicans pull this sh*t shows just how stupid you are.

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
So API, pray tell me, why is this about Nancy again? Is it now her responsibility to hold up the zippers of her colleagues?
In a manner of speaking, yes, she is responsible to shine a spot light on zippers, wallets, or any other part that is subject to corruption. As Speaker of the House, Nancy has a special burden. Her responsibility (and obligation) to the country is to run a tight ship and let the sun shine everywhere. The job requires a dedication above politics. Nancy is not the first Speaker to fail in this responsibility, but that is still not an excuse for a free pass to fail in one's job. Tell me, can you use the poor performance of a predecessor or co-worker as justification for your own performance? I suspect not. Poor performance level (as is success) is an indicator of capability. Nancy is in over her head. Initially, she tried to sweep Mahoney's issue under the rug and did not initiate any corrective investigation until the cat got out of the bag. To their credit, Rahm Emanuel D-IL and ABC News (of all people) did not fall for the bullsh*t.

Beastslayer

Reaction score
API,

You might have confused Nancy with Hastert whose inaction for more than a year upon finding out Foley's proclivity for young boys.
Emanual's actions on Mahoney was actually the results of Dems' leadership meeting.

Coondog

Reaction score
Wrong.. again... there has been no committee investigation, only a call for one. Emanuel stated that he has known about the impropriety and confronted Mahoney about it earlier in the year. Get your facts straight for once. It is also funny that you think this has nothing to do with Pelosi, even though she is the leader of the dem party. Thats not what the libs were screaming about Hastert when Foley was caught. I hope they launch and investigation and find that Pelosi and the libs were hiding this.. They knew about it, at least a couple of them did. Hypocrites...

Beastslayer

Reaction score
Wrong.. again... there has been no committee investigation, only a call for one.

Coondog - I'm not joking anymore. I think you need to go back to your shrink for new meds. Or this may just be a case of stupidity again.

You may want to check back. There are not much any other postings up here. Nobody mentioned a "committee investigation".

Coondog

Reaction score
I meant "dems leadership meeting".. Either way, you are lying through your teeth again. You just make up sh*t as you go...