Learning a New Area

photohunter

Reaction score
I've been having a great time learning a hunt zone new to me. I've been out there 7 times and spent the night once. About 90% of the legal roads have been driven (and some) and I haven't got stuck yet! The rocks cut up tires, but the deep sand is the worst. A previous hunter told me you can get by without a 4X4 - bull***!! The truck stays in 4 wheel high once I hit the dirt. There are a couple 1/2 mile stretches where you better not slow down or you are stuck.

So far I've been glassing from afar. I found this guy sky lined the first time I got there at daylight specifically to glass. He was watching me from about a mile.
View attachment 73325

Attachments

• YoungRamSkylined.jpg
    YoungRamSkylined.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 4

photohunter

Reaction score
Then he came on down and sunned himself and chewed his cud while I glassed for a few hours.

Attachments

• YoungRam.jpg
    YoungRam.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 4

photohunter

Reaction score
I've read that they will eat just about anything. Every time I see them feeding, it looks like they are eating dirt. They do look health though.

Attachments

• Feeding.jpg
    Feeding.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Feeding2.jpg
    Feeding2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3

photohunter

Reaction score
I finally got out of the air conditioning and put some boots on the ground. As soon as I got to the ridge top I wanted to glass from, I see 8-10 sheep coming up the other side to me. One of the ewes had a collar on (no pics), but there was 1 mature ram in the bunch. Season opens in 7 weeks and I am getting excited! Finally getting close to animals gives me confidence I can do this with a bow. There's very little cover, but some of the country is broken up.
View attachment 73331

Attachments

• RamAndEwe.jpg
    RamAndEwe.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 3

JNDEER

Reaction score
Wow!! Luck of the draw. Looks good and that’s great you are putting in your time.

Found the one you plan to target or still looking for him?

photohunter

Reaction score
JNDEER said:
Wow!! Luck of the draw. Looks good and that’s great you are putting in your time.

Found the one you plan to target or still looking for him?
I'm not even close to seeing what's in the unit. I want to have a pretty good idea before season because the rams could be anywhere once it rains good. I don't imagine "targeting" a specific ram will work (so I'm told). The rut is still on and they haven't split up, so now is the time to take inventory and drool over the big rams...

photohunter

Reaction score
CA F&W defines a "Mature Ram" as one that fits the measurement in the picture. I think this is smaller than some states requirements. I asked at the orientation how old most rams are before they reach the minimum. The answer was 2.5 years. F&W definitely wants the oldest rams harvested. I'm just glad to not have to count growth rings.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Damn, you drew a sheep tag? Congrats, you luck m-fer! You took my tag!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures and ultimate reward.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
I would not consider a 2 1/2 year old ram to be mature.
Congratulations on drawing the tag. This will be a monumental experience. Hats off for deciding to use your bow. You have seriously raised the stakes. I will be following the story closely.