Late Season Bear Hunt

Spanky

Reaction score
Due to the information below and the utter lack of bucks during deer season, I am going to attempt to find and freezer this beast. Not real sure of the California Black Bear's habits in late December. Any late season tips from bear hunters in the foothills of the western Sierras is appreciated. Game camera photo from late May.

Attachments

• cal_FandW_bear.png
    cal_FandW_bear.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Old_Blacky.png
    Old_Blacky.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Spanky

Reaction score
Great insights! Just what I was looking for! Hoping to verify the last comment.

Spanky

Reaction score

Spanky

Reaction score
So the area I am hunting is just under the 3000' level and has an abundance of acorns, grasses and berries. Snow doesn't usually occur until very late December or January. Lots of denning areas as well. Good water sources and low human impact. Fingers crossed.

Spanky

Reaction score
I can relate to this story. I've also noticed the same thing while deer hunting but never had a bear tag. Bear populations have exploded in the Sierra Foothills while deer populations are rapidly declining.

Attachments

• 2018-CDA-Summer-8.jpg
    2018-CDA-Summer-8.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2018-CDA-Summer-9.jpg
    2018-CDA-Summer-9.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 0

Spanky

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all. Well, I'm back from my D5 bear hunt with no success. Game cam had a night time image of bear a week before I got in the area but I was unable to find the beast. Got some great hiking in nonetheless. Looks like he gets to live another year.