Lassen Antelope Period 2

goindeep

Very nice. There's some good bucks in lassen. I have pics of a 83 inch buck taken by a friends daughter on the junior hunt.

hntndux

Always good to see the jr's out there especially when they get a big one! It was a fun hunt and scouting plus several miles of hiking....or should I say controlled stumble over that damn lava rock paid off. Can't wait to get him back from the taxidermist already.

Phil N

I was up there this weekend and lot's of animals seen. Only one for sure shooter and one maybe. Lots of bucks chasing does.

A question I've never thought to ask until now... How long so you hang you antelope before butchering it?

hntndux

Lots of debate over this, but I don't hang anything longer than I have to before butchering. Any "off" taste it may or may not have will only increase with aging. It may be more tender, but it's all tender to begin with so why suffer the meat loss with the drying on the outside of the carcass... That's my .02

D12 Tracker

A secret I learned from an old antelope outfitter. Get 1 gallon of white vinegar, use half of it to wash the skinned goat. Refill the bottle and wash again with the 50/50 solution. This is very effective to cut the lanolin that is between the hide and meat. Sounds a little crazy, but it works great.

D12 Tracker

I also am a fan of not hanging them. Getting them unsuited and cooled as fast as possible is the key to good meat. Be very careful about getting the hair on the meat. It will also have a bad effect on the meat.

Phil N

Sorry for the gigantic picture but, apparently I'm not too tech savvy. Thank you to everyone for all the help. I looked hard for a larger buck but, am pleased with this one!

Phil N

Goindeep, I'm reasonably close down in south placer county. I will go well out of my way to work with someone that is friendly and does a good job. There are definitely taxidermists closer but, Slattery is a really good guy!

Thanks again everyone really couldn't have gotten it done as well as I did without some of the advise!