Lassen Antelope Period 2

Phil N

Nothing like being brand new to a forum and asking for tips on where to find animals but, after waiting 23 years I guess I have no shame! In any event if anyone has some tips on where to start looking I'd really appreciate it. Maybe more importantly if someone is willing to share in regards to how these animals behave after being shot at for a couple of weeks. Do they head to private ground or head for tough country like deer do? It is nice to find a forum with a lot of local folks near where I live! Lady luck was really on my shoulders this year as I drew a la panza bull tag as well!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Id hire a private guide on private land..but thats me..#havenoideahowtowin. Good luck..I've applied since the dawn of man also..still trying..post him when you kill him.

hatchet1

Also....if you drew LA Panza Elk....I know a guy........but you have to write a check.. Pay to play..I'm here to help.

nicapopolis

I have never looked at how big that La Panza zone is. I would go all guide on that beyatch. I have seen pics of some of those bulls that reside on some of those ranches up there. Whoppers!

Hatch you have some tied up on your 2 acre property you guide on up there?

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
nicapopolis said:
Hatch you have some tied up on your 2 acre property you guide on up there?
Dam you are down to 2 acres? No wonder you are moving to AZ

I guess that helps keep the cost down on the high fence..... ;)

Beretta391

I have the same tag this year... when are you planning on heading up and where are you going to stay? I just hope that the mosquito net that I have is going to be sufficient. They can be very bad up there, and i would advise investing in a good one. I hope that period 1 hunters leave us some good goats to try to put the stalk on!

Beretta391

Do antelope have a daily "routine"? or are they out and about all day. what i mean is do they get up, feed and water during the middle of the day when temps are that high?

Beretta391

BTW, i shot a bull in the La Panza unit without paying a guide a decade ago, but I was 1 of 2 hunters to be allowed access to the Chimineas ranch, near New Cuyama (i dont know if they still allow hunters to access that ranch which is state owned now. There are some elk on public land, and if someone is hunting the private land across the road from the public land, if the elk spook, they go onto the public side. I was able to get a nice big 6x7 heard bull, but it wasn't the biggest in those hills!

hatchet1

10 grand last I checked...and the ranch is down to 100ft.pasture with a high fence duckie...if you can shoot..you,ll score!!!!

Phil N

Beretta391: I'll leave a few days before the hunt starts. I'll be heading up in a few weeks to get a lay of the land even though a ton is going to change prior to September. I really don't know where I'll end up I'll let my scouting and the animals dictate that.

They do still let people on Chimineas. they draw 2 people the night before but, unfortunately I can't count on that. I'm trying to find a landowner that will let me pay for access but, we'll see. If I need to make it happen on the public land I'll do that.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm really glad I found this site!

Beretta391

i would wait until after the draw before you decide to pay... if you get the chimineas draw, it is like a private hunt. IMO that is what i would do... the landowners all charge a lot of $$$

huntingheritage

The East Lassen Antelope is a fun hunt. The furthest east portion of the zone burned a couple of years ago so things might be a little different now, but I have hunted that zone for both deer and antelope and there seems to be plenty to hunt. I will send a pm with my contact info. Feel free to give me a call to get more information.
Kevin

Hunt4life

I drew Likely Tables last year, drove through lassen. Doesn't look bad, actually seen a nice herd right off 395. I would hunt south of Shinn peak, between Shinn and Skedadle mounting. Look around the 5 springs area as well. Anywhere between 395 and the state line you'll find goats.

Phil N

Update. I've made 4 scouting trips; been all over the zone. I have not seen nearly as many animals as I had hoped for at this point. I only have one maybe shooter spotted. If anyone has seen anything of note recently and willing to share I'd love to hear about it!

2rocky

Shore beats a spoony don't it?

That is a buck to be proud of. Road huntin' is no crime on antelope. It's big country and you have to cover a lot of ground.