Kids dream gun

ofdscooby

My good friend and long time hunting partner happens to own a landscape company and we worked out a materials for gun type trade. We are just finishing this kid build for the youth cow hunt up in Payson next week. This gun is just for his kids we put the LOP of the stock at 12.5 not too short and not too long and in the future we can add a grind to fit spacer for when they are older and full grown. With kids recoil is obviously an issue and I wanted them to feel comfortable I knew they could live through the recoil but if they are flinching it’s affecting accuracy so here’s what we did.

Short action Remington 700 trued up so everything is square. Bartline barrel at 22in. 23in. if you include the brake. Mc Millan Stock with a 12.5 LOP and a hinged floor plate for the bottom metal. The trigger is a Timney trigger at 3 lbs I’m a jewel trigger guy but the highest they will go is 2 lbs. I wanted a little more weight for the kids so we used the Timney. It is chambered in 7-08 and shoots the 140 grain Nosler Accubond at a blistering 2535fps. We topped it with a Leupold VX3 4x14 with their CDS system. On the scope I did not get one with a parallax adjustment just so we took one more variable out of it for the kids. At one full rotation of the dial it can hit the 600 yard steel at my range all day long.

Attachments

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Nice looking tack driver! I sent you a pm too, I will be near Payson in a month and a half for my and my old man's elk hunt!

Good luck with the kiddos!!! I have a youth cow hunt here next weekend I will be volunteering at too...

montana13

Sweet gun! How much does the gun (without the scope) weigh? I’m in the process of buying my skinny 12 year old son a rifle and was wondering if 7.5 lbs is too heavy.

ofdscooby

It’s probably around that 7.5 -8ish pounds I could have shaved some weight if I went with McMillans edge (carbon fiber) but that would have transferred into a little more recoil and another $100 so we stuck with the fiberglass.

BOWUNTR

Kimber 84M in 6.5 CM. I originally was gonna get the 7mm 08 but got the 6.5 so they could impress the flat billed boys at school. Right now I only apply them for cow hunts. Gonna work up and hunt bulls with their bows... Ed F

snoopdogg

BOWUNTR said:
Kimber 84M in 6.5 CM. I originally was gonna get the 7mm 08 but got the 6.5 so they could impress the flat billed boys at school. Right now I only apply them for cow hunts. Gonna work up and hunt bulls with their bows... Ed F
Hahaha! I still don't understand that look, but I don't sag my pants either.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
No gun is my own anymore..the 3 dorks have taken over the gun safe..and no flat hats allowed here at the compound..

popx5

Dude...

If a flatbiller shows up trying to mark some territory around the pad, you need to take him for a tour of the bug box whilst their cleaning a skull or two. Let em get a good whiff of decomp. Tell em how you can make things disappear... like them. Snatch the lid off his dome and put a proper bend in it.

I hate flatbillers....

BOWUNTR

Great advice... I was joking. There's no flatbillers at Prescott High... cowboy hats and camo hats. The 6.5 Creedmore has a huge flatbiller following though... Ed F

snoopdogg

I own a 6.5 Creedmoor. Eventually, I'll even shoot it! I finally started diversifying my kill cannon and actually used a gun, other than my 30.06 Remington 700, to knock some mammals down this year.

No flat bill here...

outdoorplay

Founder
you can't go wrong with that Remington 700, I did just about the same build for my sons gun but I did it in 30/06. I can tell you this its a tack driver, I like his better than mine.

Congratulations that right there is a life gun