Kern - advise for a new person?

BJJ223

Reaction score
I got a #12 for Kern on 12/31. I have duck hunted for 10 years. But, I have never hunted Kern. From what I understand, there are a few blinds and the rest is free roam. I have a few questions if anyone wants to chime in...

How many reservations do they give for Kern each day?
How many blinds are there?
Is a #12 likely to get a blind?
My first time, I will try to get a blind. But, if I can't, what area should I pick for free roam (no dog and no boat)?
Any recommendations for a hotel/motel close by?

Thanks.

RTIN

Reaction score
Not sure what the quota is now....my guess around 20.
If you do get a blind it would be low on the list of shooters.
Look at the averages in the FR areas and take your pick.
I stay at Motel 6 right off the Lost Hills exit.
If your solo I would recommend taking someone who knows the ropes or hook up with one of the regulars that might be sweating.
Talk with Bob in the office prior to calling #'s as he is always willing to help.
God luck!

Boomer

Reaction score
Just find someone with a good spread, set up 80 yards away and shoot the ducks as they drop into their spread. Great way to make friends.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Boomer said:
Just find someone with a good spread, set up 80 yards away and shoot the ducks as they drop into their spread. Great way to make friends.
Lmao!

wiggie

Reaction score
Go free roam. Be mobile and observant.

raybanfoxman

Reaction score
They throw 15 ressies as of a week ago. There will be blinds available when they get to your number, but you probably won't want what's left over. 2 and 1a typically shoot the best and each have their own pros and cons. My recommend is to bring someone who has knowledge on Kern and at the very least, ask Bob at the check station for some advice on good points of entry into the unit you're hunting: There's some really deep pockets out there. Plan for a long walk and a long day. You'll have a blast, good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need more info, I'll answer what I can.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
ImissAlot said:
They throw 15 ressies as of a week ago. There will be blinds available when they get to your number, but you probably won't want what's left over. 2 and 1a typically shoot the best and each have their own pros and cons. My recommend is to bring someone who has knowledge on Kern and at the very least, ask Bob at the check station for some advice on good points of entry into the unit you're hunting: There's some really deep pockets out there. Plan for a long walk and a long day. You'll have a blast, good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need more info, I'll answer what I can.
When all fails... Invite this ^^ upland guy. I have seen him kill a couple of ducks.

chessie

Reaction score
I'd invite Imissalot, just because of his name. :smiley-ziplip:

WingSetter

Reaction score
The following blinds are open 1-2-4-5-6-7-10-14...if you never been there free roam is tough and there are some deep spots that border the roads upon walking in...a canoe is highly recommended..as is a sled..as stated if you go free roam some A hole will set up close to you..and shoot your ducks on the swing..claim your spot and try to fend people away...since you never been there take a blind...unless you go with someone whose been there....its been slow up there lately good luck

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
You duckers are funny!

Good luck and have fun!