Kenetrek Boots

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Anyone wearing Kenetreks desert guide boot? If so, tell me what you think. I've worn through my hardscrabbles and am considering going to the desert guide boot. Especially if anyone has worn both and could weigh in with a comparison that would be great. I have tried quite a few different boots from the top manufacturers and think I'm headed back to Kenetrek for my next pair. Feel free to thread jack this one if anyone is wearing Zamberlan Lynx or Cheetahs or any other Alpha mountain boot that might stand up to the torture of the desert. The only thing I use more than my optics are my boots, so I'm trying to weigh it all out. I have my wife convinced that boots are safety equipment. So they aren't part of the general gear budget.

popx5

Reaction score

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Have them rebuilt.... I've done it twice. It's like getting a new boot that is already broke in, cheaper too. I like the looks of popx5 boots too. Ed F

paulc

Reaction score
I like my Kenetreks, but, my Lowas are a little better. You can get them re soled by Dave Page the cobbler in Washington.

goindeep

Reaction score
I've been using a pair of zamberlans for the last 6 seasons and they are still going strong. I mainly only use then when backpacking and the majority of the time I'm in really rocky areas that can tear boots up. Before I'd go thru boots yearly or ever two years, I'm sold and will be buying another pair of zamberlans when these wear out, whenever that is.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Flip flops and shorts for me...I'm never leaving the truck again..just got a new ac compressor for the white buffalo..burr...

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
Where did you have your boots rebuilt and what goes into it? I have a pair of Danners that wore out a few years ago and I just never had the heart to throw them away. Every boot I've tried since them has been a disappointment.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Hogskin said:
Where did you have your boots rebuilt and what goes into it? I have a pair of Danners that wore out a few years ago and I just never had the heart to throw them away. Every boot I've tried since them has been a disappointment.
Maybe try contacting the company directly. I am having a pair of Irish Setters I have sent back to Red Wing. They will resole, new laces, and oil for $100 and that is with to and from shipping included.

There are usually cobblers in most towns as well.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Planning to send the hardscrabbles in for a rebuild. Downside is the timing, not sure my flip flops are warm enough for this time of year. I too have nothing bad to say about the zamberlans I just finished destroying. For almost $100 less than the kenetreks they did well. They survived a couple hundred miles. Just really wondering if anyone has put miles on the desert guide model? If not than I might be the guinea pig.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
D12 Tracker said:
Planning to send the hardscrabbles in for a rebuild. Downside is the timing, not sure my flip flops are warm enough for this time of year. I too have nothing bad to say about the zamberlans I just finished destroying. For almost $100 less than the kenetreks they did well. They survived a couple hundred miles. Just really wondering if anyone has put miles on the desert guide model? If not than I might be the guinea pig.
"They survived a couple hundred miles" Is not much of a testimonial for a $300 pair of boots. I would be livid. I have gotten better wear out of the cheap Merrills I knock around in. Good boots should last much longer. I am about 6 years into my second pair of American-made Danners (big difference between them and the imported Chinese glue-up crap you see in stores). I got almost 20 years of hard wear, mostly in the desert, out of the first pair and went new over rebuild because my feet have changed over the years and a half size larger made more sense.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Lowa Tibets for me. But it's all about fit for your feet and that is an entirely personal matter. Whenever I try a new boot I buy at REI thru their special order dept. That way I can actually hunt in and use the boot in real conditions and still return them if they aren't gonna work. Kennetrek, Lowa, La Sportiva, Scarpa, Meindl, zamberlan, Schnees, et al. They are all good and comparable quality. It's just a matter of what fits your feet.

hank4elk

Reaction score
It is getting hard to find a real cobbler any more for sure.
Send them back to Kenetrek,they say they will fix them.I have a pair of Grizzly pac's I'm sending them come spring as a D-ring pulled out of the base on mine .
I have some Danner Cascades I've had for years & always got rebuilt. The local old cobbler/leather/boot/saddlemaker died recently and have no idea of where another in NM is.
The one I had used in SLO changed hands and lost one of my boots last time...and never made good.

That said I took PC's advice and went with the Lowa Tibets as a replacement for my 15 year Meindel's.
Found them to try on like SDhunter & then got them over half price on e-bay.
Fit like a glove 1st time & love them. I got half size larger to fit heavy winter socks too. I wear them year round in NM now.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Thanks Paul.
My 2 old pairs of Danner Cascades need some TLC,but still fit like a glove & keep my feet warm& dry most of the year.
The old guy in St. Johns did a muricle on my cowboy boots couple years back.I could drop stuff off in Springerville and he would pick them up when he came to the cafe twice a week. I would die for one of his saddles...............and I don't have a horse anymore.lol