Keep it Clean

fish dog

And, when I say “keep it clean” I don’t mean watch your language. I'm talking about what is probably my #1 pet peeve, people not picking up their trash!

I know that on this web site I'm probably 100% preaching to the choir, at least I would hope so, because I believe all of us here, by the very fact that we bother to come together as an on-line "community" have a little more self responsibility then many.

Anyway, maybe I'll reach a lurker or two and do some good, maybe not, but at least I'll feel better for posting it.

Take a trash bag out to the blind and police up the area of your blind. Pick up every bit of trash you can find, every wrapper, water bottle, soda can and empty shotgun shell you can find. And I don’t mean just the stuff you brought out to the blind. Pick up EVERYTHING you can find. If the previous hunting party that had your blind were a bunch of slobs pick up their trash and empty shells too. I use the word slob because I don’t know any other name to use to describe “hunters” like that – and I use the name “hunters” in quotes because in my opinion they aren’t really hunters if this is how they treat our hunting areas. All it would take to loose our hunting privileges on our wildlife areas and refuges would be for some Sacramento or Washington D.C. big-wig to take a tour of one of the areas and see trash strewn all over, especially if it consists largely of expended shotgun shells. After all, how could anyone deny that the hunting community was responsible for trashing one of these areas if empty shotgun shells are a large percentage of the trash? After seeing such a display the political outsider would probably come to the conclusion that hunters don’t really care about the refuge and could start the process to have the area shut down to hunting. Far fetched you say…well, pay your money, take your chances and is it worth that risk just to not have to carry out a couple pounds of trash?

There's also another thing we hunters can do and that is to keep it legal.

Once again, I'm sure I really don't need to tell the regular crew here this but again, maybe someone from the outside that stumbles across this web site will take it to heart.

Be sure of your regulations regarding seasons, dates, species, limits, shell restrictions and so forth. If an area starts to get a reputation for multiple violations, especially if it’s for hunters shooting protected species, it could lead to sever restrictions on our hunting access.

Please, these two things are very easy to do yet potentially so important to our access to our refuges and wildlife areas. So, keep it clean and keep it legal.

Ok, rant over...

GUNDOGLOVER

Unfortunately, the message being posted here is not getting out to the abusers. I would like to think everyone here practice's, "leave it like you found it."

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Ya pretty much preaching to the choir. Problem is those that are pigs don't give rats a$$...the rest will continue to pick up after others.....good post and maybe ya just might reach a lurker on here to change their ways

Old Quack 49

At Wister you know how much yellow rope that ties up the arrow weed from Frank's ? WAY TO MUCH ! That stuff NEVER goes away unless we pick it up . Stuff breaks and the ones that brought it in just leave it . Can't believe these people . Don't even start with the human stuff and toilet paper that is dumped near the blind site we all have to stay near . Lazy people with no moral compass. We all could tell stories about what we have seen and picked up . Good reminder to be good stewards of the places we love, Old Quack 49

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Besides the human excriment found in and around the blinds..any one every find any needles?? Tourniquets? Any paraphernalia? I've heard some of those refuges atract the tweakers? Ducking and tweaking..who every came up with that had to be one messed up dude..damn..

Old Quack 49

Yep, but it was in the post season clean up day. Also arrows and some heavy lead shells. None of that was the legal Wister hunter but locals who were messed up poaching , IMHO. Niland has more than their share. Bastages ! Old Quack 49

pig killer

i hate trash left in blinds one hunt a few years ago the birds were bombing in at first light and as soon as the sun was up they were flaring like mad and it was from trash mylar baloons went and picked them up and it was game on again.
those most likely just fell to earth from god knows were .
but all it can take to ruin somebody elses hunt is a couple shiny soda cans.

slinky_70

I always spend time during the middle of the day during slow times to pick up trash. Last year we hunted an area on Wister that had so much trash that we were not able to get it all picked up. We were able to get the rest on another hunt day. I have an idea which group it was that left all the trash. There are a couple groups that contribute the trash left behind. Not who I consider to be very ethical

Alchemistkb

Sleeping with an Admin....
amen! don't you just want to find the abusers home and litter their living room with the trash they've littered our world with? I just don't understand the "just drop it here" mentality. so you forgot a trash bag, pockets? back pack? blind bag? decoy bag??? carry your crap back from where you came!!! who are these people and where the heck were they raised and by whom?!

chessie

It's not just hunters. While out running Wed. night I saw a biker repairing a flat tire on the trail. Didn't think anything about until I ran the same trail last night and there was the discarded tire tube and air canister right where he changed the tire. a**hole. I picked up the trash he left and tossed it in the garbage but it just pissed me off. Take your trash with you.

calisnowhunter

Got so bad last year I picked up a couple of bags full of trash out of a blind that was knocked down? Took it to josh and had them pull up the last hunter in there. We refilled that day. Hope he got a ticket

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
I think the only way you could really give someone a ticket would be to walk the blinds on Sat eve after shooting time was over, even then...if the blind refilled peeps would just blame previous party...it's just a [email protected]$£€% up deal...takes so little effort to police your area after a hunt

calisnowhunter

Ya the only reason I turned it in is whoever was there in the morning tore down the blind thru it everywhere but left a crapload of trash where the blind was. I figured it had to be the morning guys but you never know for sure

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Cali I hear ya, bad enough you tear the blind down...then you leave all your trash too....and it's no diff than the Yahoo's driving the refuge too

slinky_70

Could never understand the reason for tearing down a blind. Guess they think they are not divulging where the X is. Tough to control who left the trash. About the only way to control it would be to visit each site at end of hunt but that is not possible. I can understand some shells being left as sometimes hard to find all of them but water bottles, soda cans, candy wrappers and etc. is no excuse

fish dog

Yeah, wish it was that easy to turn in the prior hunters. Problem is even though its a minor violation of the law (meaning its not a bank robbery etc.) it still has the same burden of proof, beyond a reasonable doubt. Unless a warden wanted to invest a lot of time for one simple littering violation all the last guys in the blind have to say is they found it that way. What I mean is the warden would have to see a clean blind, watch a hunting party enter the clean blind and stay there in the blind all day, see them leave and then go see if they left it clean or not. Otherwise "that other guy did it". Also, since its either an infraction or a misdemeanor it has to be committed in front of the citing / arresting officer, again, not easy to accomplish because the law doesn't require them to pick up trash left by prior hunters (although we all should pick ANY trash up) but just requires them to pick up their own.

calisnowhunter

I have taught my girls since they were 5 to clean up while I was out picking up decoys so we still do it. When my daughter picks up decoys I do it. Do we mis some shells probably but it is cleaner than what we showed up to every time