Johnston Muzzleloaders. Anyone have experience with them?

TonyS

Reaction score
You can do the same thing or better with a barrett but I bet the barrett is cheaper.

bpnclark

Reaction score
I wouldnt spend that much $ on a mz that uses a rilfe primer. They'll make a law against it soon.

paulc

Reaction score
I got a lot of input and first hand experience from guys and outfitters that have them.  They are legit, and I most likely will be buying one.

I feel good to 200 yards with my omegas, but, 100-200 yards more can make a world of difference during these late rut bull hunts. 

They do use blackpowder.  The ones they have gone after are the ones using smokeless powder.

bpnclark

Reaction score
I hear ya but states are changing their mz rules/laws all the time. If you buy one with a scope, the only state you’ll probably be able to use it in is NM (maybe AZ but not CA, CO, NV, ID, OR, WA). Even NM tried to ban Blackhorn a few years ago, but changed their minds at the last min.

Western states are getting to be no scopes, no sabots, no shotgun primers, and no pellets. I would just be a little nervous buying an mz like that. Once people (a lot of people) start killing animals at 300 yards with an mz, the state will ban them. Most western states starting banning things that were helping people kill animals past 100 yards...

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
MY LITTLE GIRL SHOOTS A CVA BEARTOOTH...295 GRAIN COPPER POWER BELT...100GRAINS OF WHITE HOT PELLETS..IRON SIGHTS..GOOD NIGHT NURSE!!  THOUGHT ID BUMP IT TO 150GRAINS..BUT AFTER SEEING LAST YEARS DEER SHE CREAMED AT 100YDS...NO NEED...**completly of topic paul..sorry..but any chance i get to pimp my kids i gotta do it!!** ive become a huge fan of muzzleloading over the last few years..everything i put in for this year in nevada is muzzleloader..HOPING TO HAMMER A BIG BULL SOMEDAY SOON WITH THE SMOKE POLE!!

paulc

Reaction score
Scott, sign his azz up.  As hatch would say, he got my milk a little hot.  Just another version of the long range argument, and that was not even what the post was about.

upper

Reaction score
How many here use Muzzle loaders primarily for added oppertunity.?..........................Upper

hank4elk

Reaction score
I do as some of the best elk hunts here are mz hunts and odds way better. A rut hunt for bulls is very exciting with lots of in close action. And with my LO tags being anyweapon I can use the mz then too.  I know many folks who picked up bows for better hunts and odds,just saying.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
just read some of that MM thread..... thats hilarious!!!

nice rag horns you posted!!!  :smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign:

TonyS

Reaction score
I use a muzzleloader for another opportunity.  And its worked for me.