Jerky Cure

ofdscooby

I had some elk roasts sliced into 1/4 in. strips and I'm gonna make some jerky but I have a question. The jerky I did in the past was ground and in the spice mix was a cure with the slices do I still need to cure the meat. Most of the stuff I found on you tube and around the web is just marinade then they put the meat on a dryer. Cure or No cure is what I'm getting at.

fishingkid

I have made jerky ground and sliced. I have tried both with and without cures some I couldn't taste a difference some I Prefered without the cure think it's all preference. My choice would be no cure.

duck-boy

Info from elsewhere....

"The cure is more to prevent Botchulism when cold smoking. Botchulism is an anerobic spore that thrives in a low or zero oxygen environment like your smoker. If you are cold smoking your jerky use a cure."

nicapopolis

duck-boy said:
Info from elsewhere....

"The cure is more to prevent Botchulism when cold smoking. Botchulism is an anerobic spore that thrives in a low or zero oxygen environment like your smoker. If you are cold smoking your jerky use a cure."
Thanks for the info Ron. I didnt even know there was a cold smoking method.

gatorfan

I've never used a cure. Marinate for a day or two in the fridge and then straight to the dehydrator.

popx5

Don't need the cure, especially if you are going to eat it quickly... the "cure" is sodium nitrate, a preservative that prevents meat from spoiling. Useful for fish that is smoked at low temperatures, where the fish is not completely cooked. Jerky never lasts more than a few days around here so I never use it.

ofdscooby

Ok so if I want to make a bunch and vacume seal it for hunting snacks later do I need a cure sounds like a lot of people make it and eat it but I hide it and save it for later hunting trips

hank4elk

Marinade is a cure too...........
I use salt,sugar,spices made into brine(marinade) soaked overnight.
Just put some elk thru dehydrator and some in a smoker.
I'll ziplock it before storing in freezer.
Teriyaki and smoked chipolte.

Elk goes rancid without a cure.
Venison,Bison & beef do air dry well but I still use salt,sugar to cure and keep in freezer too.
The very least,I salt it some with sesaonings.

bpnclark

I always use cure in my jerky. My problem is I cut all my strips by hand and I never have perfect uniform strips so some parts are more done than others. Since meat the temp never gets past 150 degrees there is a chance of botchulism. So to make sure I just add a little pink salt.

And I always keep my jerk in a paper bag and never in the freg. I was told/taught if you leave it in plastic or a food saver sealed bag, moisture will happen and mold will start. That’s why all the store jerky packs come with the moisture soaking packs inside their bags and they’re never in a freg. Never tried freezing them before. I just usually give half of it away and the rest never last over a week at home.

SCREWLOOSE

This Jerky talk has me wanting to get back in to making jerky. Right now I just buy a bag of Krave.

Used to have a friendly competition with some other drivers when we ran up to the PNW 10 years ago. We (6 drivers) would stop at the Weed rest area and sample each other's newest creation.

Well, except for easyriders jerky, he had a small bladder and he used a piss bottle while driving. When we got to Weed he started passing around the bag of jerky that he had been eating out of. The whole morning he had been bragging on the CB about how good it was and that nobody else had jerky as good as his. Well, everybody was munching on his jerky and raving how good it was when Easyrider looked at me and said 'WTF Screwloose!! You're not going to try my jerky? You ate everybody else's!!' Now ya gotta understand, Easyrider is 6'5" and 380lbs with the biggest hands you have ever seen on a human!! Well, I took a step back, looked around at everybody eating his jerky and said 'Brother, you and I drive identical Freightliners right?' He says "you know we F$)&Ing do'. I said "in my truck there's no sink to wash your hands and you've used your piss bottle 3 or 4 times today and I don't care how big your hose is, you're gonna spill a little piss on your hand. Then you reached in to that bag and grabbed some jerky with those piss covered fingers!!'. He got so pissed at me!! The rest of the drivers started gagging and spitting out their jerky. Easyrider chased me around the rest area and if he caught me I wouldn't be here to tell that story today.

I have 100's of stories about Easyrider. He was just one of those guys that always had you shaking your head. Even thought about putting pen to paper and sharing the adventures. Somebody start a post about York Peppermint patties...... Story ends with me trying to get him out of a diabetic coma.

hank4elk

Batch 2 out and pretty damn good. 2 lbs of jerky in the freezer so far.
I like the smoker better than the dehydrator just for the heat alone.
Batch this weekend will be applewood smoked.
I like the chile & spices better than the teriyaki.