IV pheasant

c.tague

Reaction score
i'm gunna try to get my 10 yr old out for some pheasant, are there generally birds on the game fields down in the IV or are those usually just dove fields, i've never been there? also, i've heard the bird count is down this year, is that true, maybe it'd be better to take him to one of those plant and shoot gigs to make sure he has some success/fun.

suggestions?

anyone seeing much in numbers down there?

i'm pretty sure he's getting some of the caged birds either way, i don't want him to get a bad taste the first time out, gotta get some bird.

curt

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
It's probably going to be a real tough hunt if you haven't been there before. The fields that get planted by DWU (I don't know if Leon planted any this year) are usually done after the opener. The ditches hold birds but you'll have a hard time finding a prime area w/out trespassing signs... Even the clubs are posting the ditches.

If I had my boys with me, wouldn't waste my time unless I had permission. You might try to find a hunting club down there or 4 winds in San J.

Nimrod

Reaction score
I agree. It would be a tough hunt. My son and I were down on pheasant opener. We were hunting doves but around 7:50 were driving past some of the DFG fields and saw an army of hunters in blaze orange. we thought maybe the fields had been planted so figured 'What the heck" let's settle in on the fringe of things and see what happens. By 8:20 not a shot had been fired so we moved on. I even saw a picture of Michael's tailgate this year with only ONE pheasant on it! :smiley-wnk-yellow: So you know things are tough..... I'm thinking there is going to be a Jr. pheasant at SJ this month...check with Tom. They put on a nice event for the kids!

American outlaw

Reaction score
Check with Tom at sanj jac I think the next jr pheasant is on the 16th? They do a good job out there for the kids and its a fun day

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Went out the other day ...... Checked some of got to areas...... We saw 1 rooster and he ran for 2 fields (you g alfalfa) and never slowed down!

These birds have been hunted hard!