Island Adventure

JNDEER

The next morning we awake and my bro assures me like most of our other hunts, the stick and string will get it done for me and he lets me have first crack. We decide to hunt some pinch points and "post up" as the locals call it. Our morning hunt goes and we head to an archery area that is more along the lines of the type of hunting we are more accustom to. Slight breeze, hotter than the sun, drier then a desert, little cover for a stalk and visibility for miles. We arrive and within a few minutes I find a buck standing under a tree. Pull up the GAIA and it looks like its in our unit. We head over and start the slow, slow walk down the mountain making sure to check under every large bush or shrub as any piece of shade could hold a deer. We get to within 200 yards and I spot the buck bedded under a tree, then one turns into two which turns into 5 different deer under the tree. The dead grass is all knee high so finding them even when they are in the wide open is not always easy even if you are glassing from above them. We verify what the inconsistent breeze is doing and formulate a plan which will require me to crawl on lava hot red dirt for about 100 yards trying to stay below the grass line. 45 minutes later everything is going as planned and then at 30 yards I jump two smaller bucks and a doe under a small tree that we never even saw. This put the now giant herd of 15 deer on high alert and left me stuck basically doing a plank trying to look through the dead grass hoping they would eventually calm down. Instead after a few minutes they had enough and walked over the edge down the ridge. After the last deer got out of sight I gave chase and as I approached the edge I found one of the larger bucks sliding into a group of trees about 1000 yards down the hill. They don't like to be out in the open too much and when they are they move quick to find cover.

I go back and get my pack and bro and we re-check the now swirly wind and decide to go for it as there is a small null above them that i could possibly sneak over and get a shot. Time lapse another 30 minutes and I peak over the waist high brush as I an knelt down and can make out 4 different bucks. Two of which are small one is the giant buck I saw in the group and the other I thought was the second largest based on the color of his antlers. They are all standing facing every which direction like a group of muskox. The giant buck decided he doesn't like the doe to his left and proceeds to kick his leg at her taking him out of any window I had for a shot. The second largest buck is facing me and starts to move to his left giving me a quartering to shot. He has a nice white dot right where I need to put the arrow and decide if I wait anymore the wind could swirl at any moment. I double check the range and draw squatting down then slowly raise and attempt to settle my pin. With the wind gusts and trying to get my bubble square it takes forever and I am doing everything I can to not panic and keep my tired, fatigued, sweaty red arms focused. After what was about 20 seconds the pin is semi settled and I let it fly and hear that wonderful crack sound as the herd erupts and runs down the ridge. I take two jumps and get on a near by lava rock to see many good bucks heading down the hill in a line. Finally I spot something out of place, a red spot right in the pocket of a buck as he slows down with two of his buddies and decides he made it far enough and goes down within sight!! I have worked hard for a lot of animals, but this one with my mental handicap from the day before and the physical exhaustion of the first failed stalk took every ounce of mental stamina I had to make it a success.

Attachments

BOWUNTR

Right on... congratulations. I just mounted one of those.... they are beautiful. Still can't post reduced pics. Ed F

JNDEER

Hog- the islands are full of Hawaiian dove. By the thousands!! Small little things- you would probably need 20 or more and a few sides to make a meal.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Zebra dove...trust me..i know..spent 12 years of my life in the islands..miss those days..again, strong work dude!