Island Adventure

JNDEER

This has been in the works (at least in my head) starting three years ago when I laid eyes on an axis buck deep in a canyon I hiked into on Maui. This couldn't have happened without the help of guys on this forum, other forums and my brothers IG contacts (big thanks to weekender!). We took the ferry across the pacific and arrived to a hot and humid climate full of free range animals. After getting settled in we headed out to check the weapons and on the way happen to run into about a 100 or so of what we came for.

Attachments

BOWUNTR

Holy smokes... Lanai? I wanna go. Just mounted this guy yesterday. Cool critter... good luck. Ed F

Well I guess you still can't post pics... This site is dying a slow death. Good luck Josh. Ed F

JNDEER

Ed- Got to re-size the pics smaller. crop image on phone to smaller size and it will work.

JNDEER

After everything was dialed in (rifle and bows) we took a drive around the areas I GE to compare things and see what we could see. Got our permits, changed into camo attire and headed to an area that bordered the rifle unit we were hunting in the morning. Yep- pulled out the bang stick to ensure something was coming home with us. But crap do I hate copper!

Got to a high spot and started glassing around. Wasn't long before we found what we came looking for.

Attachments

JNDEER

We found a few small "herds" of animals for us to chase in the morning and decided to move up the mountain to another spot to glass. While walking down a dirt path in an area we can archery hunt (we have our bows) we jump a deer at 10 yards and hear it take just two jumps. Having a local hunting mindset we think we just spooked it from its bed and it will stop and circle to get our wind or wait to see what spooked it. So we slowly moved around the bush expecting to see it standing 20 yards back only to catch a glimpse of it running away already 200 yards from us. Scratching our heads we knew right than this will be a challenge.

The next morning we woke after a restless night of sleep (no AC, hot and humid, and the anticipation of the rifle hunt) got our coffee and snacks and headed to where we wanted to start glassing from. Get to the spot and don't see much moving so as it gets lighter we move into our unit and stop on the road to glass. I no sooner turn off the engine and my brother steps out and a good buck starts to trot/jog away having been a mere 75 yards from us. We knew going into this moving targets were a possibility but he stops out another 60 or so yards and my brother shots, but ends up missing. At the time we thought he may have connected.. The buck takes off and my brother heads down to see if he can find any blood. I stay on the road and keep glassing. A few minutes go by and I look back in the direction we came about 600 yards away and see the big buck crossing over a ridge walking away from us. I give chase and run back towards where we started our morning in hopes of catching him before he leaves our unit. Just as I get to the boundary line I hear a bark and a whole herd erupts from the brush below me running into another area taking 3 really nice bucks along with a dozen does and a few smaller bucks. When I get back to my brother and tell him what happened we realize filling our tags for the day may not be like shooting fish out of a barrel.

JNDEER

We stick with our original plan of moving, glassing and not staying in one spot too long as the unit is very large. We find another large ram and a few small herds off in the distance that have a few medium size bucks in them that we decide to leave them in the event we needed to hunt them in the afternoon. Heat and humidity kick in mid day as our deer sightings start to decline. Mid day we stop to glass a gultch and jump two does about 200 yards down and they start moving away and up towards the road. We rush down the road and pop over the hill looking for them frantically as we have not had another shot opportunity until now. My brother looks further down the road and sees them moving away from us. I steady old reliable and drop a doe.

Attachments

JNDEER

On a side note due to weight limitations my brother and I kept going back and forth on whether or not we wanted to bring a spotter. I am soo glade we did pack the little ED50 as it was invaluable for us the entire trip.

So now with the heat waves and humidity i really look over the buck the best I can and decide I will take the shot. After a bit he stands and starts milling around with the big herd of deer all around him (other bucks as well) and I squeeze one off. No sound of any "thump" and he takes one jump and the herd just stands around for a minute than takes off down the mountain. At this point we don't know if the copper made contact or not. Down the gultch and up the other side we go to try and see what happened. What we found was tracks everywhere and no sign of blood. A miss on me. We elect to start dropping down the ridge line checking each side in the bottom of the canyon for the herd of deer. Shouldn't be too hard to find 30 animals under a tree …. right...

JNDEER

We make it half way down to the ocean (3/4 a mile or so) and still have not found them. About ready to turn around I tell my bro we should go just a bit more to the next null so we can then basically see down to the bottom in case they ran all the way down. I tell him to check left and I move to check the right side gultch under some trees and no sooner then I get to the edge I here Kapoow!. I run, or try to run which is not possible unless you want to break a leg with all the hidden lava rocks under the knee high dead grass, to find a buck down and my brother giving me the thumbs up.

Attachments

JNDEER

That buck gets quartered and packed out. The rest of that evening basically involved me having difficulties pulling back a 3lb trigger before flinching/anticipating the gun to go off. Like an extreme archery target panic. It was bad- but only for things with antlers on their head. With two minutes of legal light left I watched as two does fed out below me from the brush and had no problem dropping one on the spot. That day was long, exhausting both physically and mentally and very humbling. Even though things may appear to be like shooting fish in a barrel, that doesn't always mean you hit the fish. My brother choose to help me find a buck that day instead of shooting at a doe because we knew once the gun rang off the herds would hide and/or run to the next unit. All in all I learned a lot and I tried to keep my head held high for the remaining days carrying only a stick and string.

JNDEER

Hatch - No it is not. But I only have one hunting rifle and it is set to be CA compliant.