Isabella Bunnies

PatrickKelly

Reaction score
Went to Lake Isabella on a solo hunt. Have never been there before, so I did a fair bit of scouting.

Got in a good hunt Saturday morning before it got too hot and everything, inclunding me, hid in the shade.

I don't use a shotgun for rabbit hunting any more, just too much damage to the little fellas. So my Ruger 10/22 converted to a 10/17 HM2 gets it done real well.

My daughter (age 7) asked if I was going to kill the fluffly little cute bunnies. I told her "No, I am going after the mean ones with big teeth and sharp claws." Where by she added, "You mean the evil ones with the red eyes?" "Yes honney, those are the ones."

Here are the results:

Rabbit%20Hunt.jpg

Bag-O-Rabbit.jpg

Time for stew.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
PK,

Nice shootin'..................Lake Isabella and the Kern Valley still holds a special place in my heart. My grandparents had a place in Bodfish and a uncle lived in Kernville. Shot a ton of 'tails & quail in the surrounding mountains as a kid. Spent a lot of summers up there fishin' too................. :2:

MuleDeerHunter

Reaction score
Nice looking rabbits. Congrats. How are you going to cook them up?

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
  • AHHHH....GRAB A HEINE !!! DAMN FINE CHOICE!!

***bunnys are kinda cool also**

CAhntr

Road hunter extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well done and nice celebration brew!

I fished Isabella as a kid but haven't been there in years.

DirtyDave

Reaction score
I love Isabella and the Upper Kern. I need to get up there soon. Some of my best honey holes are up there. Its nice when you limit out on Quail, Cottons, and Trout all in the same day.

PatrickKelly

Reaction score
Thanks boys, I have not decided how to cook them yet. Last time it was a croc pot stew, this time I might do something differnet. I'm thinking something that includes salt pork and gravy. Looking at my calendar and thinking about another trip up the Kern.

gab909

Reaction score

Attachments

• bunnies 016.jpg
    bunnies 016.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 5

PatrickKelly

Reaction score
I'm going Rabbit hunting again, last minute plans, but you take it when you can get it. Same place, Lake Isabella, heading out Friday morning real F-ing early. Hope to get in a Friday AM hunt before it gets too hot, then down to the river for a soak and a few cold beverages. Camping under the stars, probably not at a campground, but that is flexable. You want to join me, better email me, that is the best way. Heading home Sunday. Hope to fill the cooler with tender rabbit bits. The area is new to me, so some exploring and scouting is to be expected. I hear there are quail in the area, I will be looking for them and marking my GPS. I occasionally smoke a fine cigar, drink whiskey, and if the mood strikes me, play harmonica with what ever band is playing. How's that for an invitation?

[email protected]

Hunt safe, tell stories and have fun.