In car GPS

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
Reaction score
Anybody looking at doing portable in car navigation may want to take a look at this- especially for the price.

It does not list how many points of interest there are, but with the USB interface you will be able to get updates, so even if now the points of interest are low now, they would catch up later.

Compare features to the #1 seller Tom Tom

I have a different brand in my car. It really is nice. Not something I would have ever spent money on, but it has come in handy more than once. The only thing that is agrevating is when I get up in LA, it wants to take me off the freeways and run me through city streets sometimes.

View attachment 4953

Driving directions with turn-by-turn voice prompts
Multiple route options including toll roads, ferries, local/major road preference, and points of interest
Pre-programmed internal memory loaded with highly detailed MapSource City Select street data of the entire United States, Canada and Puerto Rico
Choose between a three-dimensional navigation view or "bird's eye" overhead view
Display: 2.8"W x 2.1"H (3.5" diagonal), 320 x 240 pixels; bright, QVGA transflective TFT display, 64K colors, with white backlight and touch screen
Displays speed, estimated time of arrival, trip information
Automatically switches between day and night display
12 channel receiver tracks up to 12 statellites
WAAS enabled
Accurate within 16 ft. (5 meters)
Comes with 1 GB SD card
Built-in lithium-ion battery for trip planning
8 hour battery life
Integrated suction cup mounting system provides easy adjustment and quick release
USB interface
Includes an adhesive dashboard mount disk
Includes 12V cigarette lighter adapter, 120V adapter, mounting device, USB cable for computer updates; 200 MHz CPU; 32/64 MB built in storage; 64 MB RAM; 1 GB SD map storage card; CE and FCC E9 6006 certified; Unit dimensions: 4.4"W x 3.2"H x 2.8"D; Weight: 9.4 oz

ITEM 94788-2VGA
$499.99

ON SALE-
$299.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=94788

Attachments

• navigator.JPG
    navigator.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 23

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
Reaction score
Dealing with overseas manufacturers I have learned that a lot of stuff is the same basic guts but with enough styling changes to throw people off. I've tested quite a few in car GPS systems and all are pretty close to being equal as long as they use more than 6 satelite geometry. Anything under six seems to have way too slow of a refresh rate and can cause you to miss turns when they are one right after another. Also most that use less than 6 satellite require you hook up to the speed sense and reverse light wires in you vehicle.

Points of interest are very cool if you travel. You can find your bank real easy.

With USB download capability you can at least get the latest and greatest maps.

TomTom seems to be #1 in personal in car Nav. but I don't like the features and usability. It's success must be due to distribution. :smiley-rock-on:

Doorman

Reaction score
I have on thats in my truck stero, but I just bought a new cell phone that has GPS. so far its seems to work ok. Was able to The Crab shack :smiley-funny-post-sign: :D . The one in my truck is a pionner with a disc, the only problem is every year or so you need to buy a new disc.