I'm interested in taking up hunting again after many years but...

justanotherhandle

This is what I've observed various people say or given me the impressions about hunting over several decades:

These following points may be myths, facts and/or half-truths:

1. finding a place to hunt lawfully and with consent of the person controlling the land is tough

2. finding a guide/outfitter/ranch that is not already booked up for the coming season already: the demand for hunting participation these days seems to exceed the number and capacity of available businesses that cater to this demand; sport hunting has evolved from a tradition in gentlemen's clothing to a new "look-cool" camo fashion statement and therefore many wannabes have been spawned over the last couple decades

3. firearms/ammo type restrictions on public lands (such as, no rifles for deer, no lead for dove) make things hard

4. people who don't know rural landowners or have been raised outside a hunting family or community are especially daunted

5. cost: this sport can be prohibitively expensive for some; it's not for the poor social security SSI recipients

6. finding a mentor to get shown the ropes is not easy

7. some people are just too bashful to knock on doors and ask strange landowners for permission to hunt their properties

8. competition with other hunters: drawing tags, etc...ouch!!

9. the more desirable places to hunt (mainly private land) might be more difficult to come by: good luck finding a booking opening for managing meat does that won't be priced like a good used automobile

10. hunting is a privilege reserved for but a few: the hunting community seems to be a cliquish lot that doesn't open its arms warmly to outsiders

11. tough game regs., restrictions on hunting dog use and local firearms laws are enough to put off many people; to many, hunting is not worth the trouble of wading through all the red tape involved; you just can't grab a gun and head for the woods like Elmer Fudd in Bugs Bunny cartoons

12. hunting opportunity is not readily available for every person who is interested. Opportunities for newcomers are highly limited. Most Americans who hunt are well-to-do, have the necessary social connections and/or have been raised in a hunting environment

If any of the above attitudes are not correct, please explain. I'm interested in taking up hunting again (after about 24 years) for fun and wholesome meat but the things people say (or what outdoor publications write) about hunting can be intimidating. I'm pretty sure there might be a certain degree of financial, legal, luck-of-the-draw and/or social barriers to hunting for some. Some people simply lack the physical stamina or patience to engage in certain kinds of hunting.

Designed2Hunt

1. half true. public is available but highly utilized
  2. half true and mostly true. Quality guides book 1 year in advance.
  3. true. delete public
  4. true
  5. half true. see 9.
  6. true
  7. mostly not true. 99.9% rejection rate CA
  8. half true. ~10% chance of drawing a quality hunt is good odds.
  9. ~$1000
  10. yes privileged. delete reserved for but a few. 20/80 warm to cool
  11. 110% true. getting worse every year for the past century
  12. Partly true. [Quality] hunting opportunity is not...
  13. True

[email protected]

The following point is not a myth or a half truth, it is a fact:

If you want to go out and hunt and you are able, you'll find a way.
If your on the fence, you'll look at all the reasons you shouldnt try.
My 2 cents. I hate nike, but their slogan is appropriate here.

justanotherhandle

I think the single most important thing about getting access to hunting opportunity is "whom you know". Dove hunting shouldn't be too expensive.

justanotherhandle

Where you live plays a big factor. Your other post says WY? Good for you if that's the case, 55% of the state is public land.
Just for kicks, I found this article while poking around Google:

How To Get Started Hunting as an Adult Who Never Learned as a Kid

Don't Rely on Outfitters or Guides
Going for a fully guided hunt is an awesome experience, especially for a premiere species like moose, elk or sheep. The truth is, few hunters can afford to do this every year and you’ll be happier and be more competent in the woods on your own if you truly learn to hunt.

If you didn’t learn hunting as a kid while tagging along with grandpa or your dad, don’t despair. All you need is a love for the outdoors a little bit of grit to overcome the learning curve to be a successful hunter.

Before you head out on your first hunt make sure you define what success is, find a few allies that you can lean on in the early days and buy the right equipment for your hunt. In the beginning weapons, stands and transportation will eat up a lot of your budget so remember that the some of the greatest hunters in the world used simple sticks and moccasins to kill game.

Most hunters are more than willing to help out a newbie and you can rest assured you’ll be accepted, whether you start at 6 or 60.

Know your Resources
In every small town, there’s a wild game butcher, a houndsman, a taxidermist and a game warden. You should have the number of all four. The butcher and taxidermist are a given but many people don’t understand what they need the game warden and a houndsman. One day, you’ll witness a game violation and it’ll make you mad, and one day you’ll wound a deer and need help finding it, these two numbers can save the day.

I discovered there is also public DOVE in WY!
This video looks promising:

Oregon, Idaho and Montana not so hot for dove.

Last edited:

GUNDOGLOVER

Three words. OUT. OF. STATE. Other states actually want, and like us hunting their states. California wants us to disappear. And that is just what I did. Az. Wis. NM. Indiana.